Book Design and Imaging

color correction and ICC profile

The photos in my book have been professionally color-corrected; I am not messing with any color correction myself. Do I still need to use the proper ICC profile? I am creating JPGs from InDesign pages.

Thanks,
Sheri

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
sherihy
Dec 6, 2007 8:55am PDT
sherihy

Hello Sheri;

You do not "need" to use the ICC profile for colour correction; but it is highly recommended…

All printing processes generate different colour spectrums, and the BookSmart process is no different.

Make sure your InDesign JPEGs are sRGB colour profiled, then download the ICC profile and "soft-proof" your images using that colour profile. You WILL see that there is a difference… (The images should retain the sRGB profile after correction…)

If you do nothing to the sRGB images, then the final print will almost certainly be different from what you see on the screen… In general dark tones tend to be very dark… That’s the main difference.

You should also ensure that your monitor is correctly colour calibrated for the best results… If it’s not – you could be adjusting colour profiles to suit the monitor output – not the printer output… ( A tool such as Pantone’s Huey does the job quite well…)

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Dec 6, 2007 10:03am PDT
lkb-28

thank you, I understand what you are saying. I followed the link and got the ICC profile. However, I do not know how to install it. Pls help. I will be doing color correction in Lightroom.

Thanks,
Sheri

Posted by
sherihy
Dec 7, 2007 1:47pm PDT
sherihy

and also: I have a spyder device to calibrate my monitor. Does it matter if I calibrate before or after installing the ICC?

Posted by
sherihy
Dec 7, 2007 1:49pm PDT
sherihy

ICC color profiles should be copied into your Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color folder.  Then they will show up in Photoshop under View/Proof Setup/Custom where you can select the profile for viewing.  You can then make color adjustments while in the proofing mode.

Installing color profiles is not related to color calibration of your monitor, they are done independently, but, you must select the monitor profile using the tool provided with the calibration software when you start your operating system.  After that,everything you see will be calibrated to your monitor.  When you select the sRGB (printer) ICC profile for proofing in Photoshop it will accurately show you how your image will look when printed on a device with the sRGB color profile characteristics.

Hope this helps!

Posted by
samdobrow
Dec 19, 2007 1:39pm PDT
samdobrow

I don’t know how late this my come, but Lightroom has no way to softproof anything. It uses a variation of ProPhoto <acronym caps title="it’s been called "Mellisa <span class=">RGB</acronym>. If you want to softproof anything, it will have to be done in an imaging application such as Photoshop. Sorry if this may be to late, but I just recently found this forum, and I have been reading various posts,some of which is very interesting, and some concerning some aspects of Photoshop are not correct.

KeithR

Posted by
kjrslr
Dec 20, 2007 4:32pm PDT
kjrslr