Book Design and Imaging

Unable to select photos from 'my computer'

The software shuts down every time I click on ‘my photos’ then ‘this computer’ for my photo library.  I have reinstalled the software twice and I still have the problem.  I am unable to view a photo library from a file I have on my computer.  Any ideas why this is happening?  It is very frustrating and I am ready to start my book.  Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Expert
Dec 13, 2007 4:17pm PDT
Expert

Did you also download files from flickr or somewhere else?  Are the photos on your computer on the local drive or are they partitioned or on a network?  I believe there is a known issue.  I was having the same problem and searched the forum for flickr photo bug or something like that and got the workaround.

Posted by
mforbes321
Dec 13, 2007 5:17pm PDT
mforbes321

There are my photographs on my local drive on my computer.  I did not download photos from anywhere else.    The problem I am having with the software is when I click on ‘Get Photos’ and select from ‘My Computer’ the software shuts down and just goes way.  I have to restart the software and it keeps doing it.  There are several ways to select the file where your photographs and all the links for ‘My Computer’ all close the program down.

Posted by
Expert
Dec 14, 2007 8:40am PDT
Expert

If you haven’t already I’d report the bug to blurb.

The only other thing I can think of is to try putting the pictures in a different folder and see if it likes that folder better.  Good luck!

Posted by
mforbes321
Dec 14, 2007 9:26am PDT
mforbes321

I will report it to Blurb.  I can’t even get to a list of folder, the program shuts doen imediately when I click on ‘My Computer’.  I assume that when I click on ‘My Computer’ I should get a list of files where I seelct the file that my photos are in.  It never gets that far.  It immediately shuts down when I click on ‘My Computer’

I have reinstalled twice with no luck.  It is just a bug, I guess.

Posted by
Expert
Dec 14, 2007 10:59am PDT
Expert

I have not experienced specifically that problem. But I have, (out of laziness) simply dragged  individual photo files directly from my Windows picture files, without going through "from my computer" step. Try it, see if it works . It did for me.

Posted by
cantudoit2
Dec 14, 2007 11:00am PDT
cantudoit2

That did work for me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

Posted by
Expert
Dec 14, 2007 11:34am PDT
Expert

Hello all,

I had a similiar problem on Windows and traced it to the version of Java installed on the machine. BookSmart 1.9.2 uses a slightly newer version and if you machine has an older version in the ‘PATH’, attempts to get at My computer throw an ‘exception’ which in turn kills your BookSmart session.

You can either:
1. Uninstall your current Java version (through the Add/Remove programs thingy) – not recommended as it isn’t a guarantee.
2. Upgrade your java by downloading the ‘latest’ from java.sun.com – probably the easiest
3. Add the java bin directory shipped with BookSmart to the front of your existing PATH variable
4. Write a batch script to add the BookSmart java to the session running BookSmart.

I’m a geek – I did #4 and can assure you that it resolves the ‘where did BookSmart go?’ problem.

Posted by
rseeton
Dec 21, 2007 4:08pm PDT
rseeton