Book Design and Imaging

Images and resolution help please. It does not compute properly.

First book here but I have done many others.

I make full page bleeds in PS CS3. Save as sRGB JPG maximum. The images are sized to exactly the Blurb full page pixel dimensions.

In Photoshop the images look perfect but in the BookSmart program they look low-res. I read the other posts about image view, etc but in the preview they also look low-res. I am positive these are 3788 / 3262 @ 300 pixels/in.

Also, when I upload the BookSmart upload and order program tells me the image upload size is 184Mb for my 114 page book of 5-6Mb pages. My total of pages is 578Mb. I think the pages are not the full res that I intend them to be based on these observations. How can I confirm the pages are full-res?

13×11 book using full page images.  

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
barndog
Dec 16, 2007 7:51am PDT
barndog

What you are seeing in a lower resolution ‘preview mode’ in BookSmart. When you copy images into BookSmart, it will save your original high resolution image. BookSmart will also create a second low resolution image which is what you are seeing. BookSmart does this to speed up the endiing process as moving around such large image files would greatly slow down the editing process.

This is a common concern of customers, but their books always turn fine. When you upload your book to be published, BookSmart will use the high resolution images. So for the best resolution simply use 300 dpi and don’t worry too much about the grainy images you are seeing.

booksmart will resize you photos to 300×300dpi image for the download. It will also change the JPG quality to 9, which may greatly increase the compression ratio and reduce the size of you pictures depending on your original quality size.

For example I have a high resolutoin JPG picture (3504×2336) with quality 12 that is 5,613kb in size. If I drop this into a book smart image of  8.2×6.5 inches and then download the book. This picture will be resize to 300×300 to give a size of 2925×1950. The quality of the JPG will also change to 9, which will drop the file size to 807kb. Even with the quality of 9, the image is still a very high quality image as you should see when you receive you book.

This may explain why you have seen such are large reduction in the download size. It will also depend on what you photographs contain as some images will compress much more greatly than others, eg if you have a lot of sky or blocks of similar colour then your photos will compress greatly.

Cheers
Martin

Posted by
MartinRobert
Dec 16, 2007 11:47pm PDT
MartinRobert