Book Design and Imaging

Bleed photos in blurb

Hello,

I am using InDesign to develop a book following the instructions given by Blurb.

I am to the point where I have made the jpegs of the pdf files and am reading to import them into the blurb template. Numerous pages of this book have photos that bleed and I followed the specifications of Blurb and designed the book with a one-eighth inch bleed.

However, there is no bleed measurement in the blurb template as far as I can see. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

RB

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
rustoleum
Dec 31, 2007 10:00am PDT
rustoleum

Here is the link to Blurb BookSmart trim info in jpg demostration provided by Blurb team:

http://www.blurb.com/images/marketing/FullBleedSpec.jpg

To learn more on how to export PDF files from Adobe InDesign, and all that, here – if you conduct search query keyword phrase like this “full bleed specs”, this will points to that link:

http://forums.blurb.com/posts;search?q=full+bleed+specs&x=0&y=0

Also there is more detailed and informed procedure to work with InDesign to BookSmart “workflow”, here.

Hope that helps.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Dec 31, 2007 12:30pm PDT
brianbonitz

I am sorry to say, that in a most ordinary way, the answer is lacking and the question in still smacking.

I have followed ALL of the specifications as laid out by the glorious blurb wunderkind of java, xml, html, and c++ or whatever.

I have used InDesign to put together a photo documentary that has numerous images that bleed. When I am import the jpg (which btw is the most fubar process that I have ever seen [indesign to pdf to photoshop to jpeg]) there does not seem to be a way to deternine the one eighth inch bleed.

So it seems to me that I have wasted my time and that of a bunch of pixels as I do not see how I can develop a quality product with the tool and instruction that I am asked to use via Blurb.

Is there an answer out there, or should I just take a knitting needle and stab myself in the ear (since as the venerable Luis Black notes, if I am going to be in pain,  at least it should be self inflicted!)

-rb

Posted by
rustoleum
Dec 31, 2007 8:55pm PDT
rustoleum

I’m curious what you are looking for. If you open BookSmart – then use the Insert menu to add a page of type “Photo—1, full bleed”, then you can see the template. If you mouse over the page, it will tell you precisely the pixel size it would prefer for a full page bleed image. This is the size including the 1/8 inch bleed area on three sides.

For example, for a 10×8 inch book, the preferred full page bleed size is 2888×2475 pixels. That size is given at 300ppi and you can go down as low as 150ppi (since after all, the resulting print is half-toned at lower screen than that), so you can use a full page image as small as 1444×1238 pixels… Though everyone here will tell you to go 300ppi if you can. (Not that I’ve seen a comparison – since the screen is less than 150lpi, I doubt there is much difference, actually….)

If you drop an image into that page, any image, BookSmart will scale the image so that it fills the page. The page image you see in BookSmart is the size of the untrimmed print area – in other words the 1/8th inch edges are present.

I’m don’t know what you mean by ”... no bleed measurement in the blurb template…” or ”...determine the one eighth inch bleed”.

Perhaps you are looking for trim marks? BookSmart doesn’t show them, alas. Remember that the 1/8 inch trim is approximate – it may be more on top and less on the bottom or vice-versa. Judging from other posts in the forums, the variation seems to be somewhat greater than what people are used to with other forms of printing.

Posted by
MtnViewMark
Dec 31, 2007 9:42pm PDT
MtnViewMark

If you have critical edge data that you don’t want cut off, ignore the recommended 1/8" safe area & give yourself 1/4" of space.  You’ll be happy that you did.

Posted by
PhotosGuy
Jan 13, 2008 10:19pm PDT
PhotosGuy

Okay.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 14, 2008 2:37am PDT
brianbonitz

Excuse me for my ignorance but I always believed that if a finished product (book/print/etc) was for example 8×10 that the image (taking into account bleed) should be 8.25×10.25@300dpi optimally.

Posted by
ZIEBAPHOTO
Jan 14, 2008 10:42am PDT
ZIEBAPHOTO

Ziebaphoto,

if you look at the photos in this thread http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/955, particularly the last one, you will see that the pages are slightly smaller than the hard book cover (as with the hardback books I have in my library).  So, for example, for a 13" x 11" book the height of the individual pages is (from the Blurb FAQs) 10.63".

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 14, 2008 11:45am PDT
tfrankland