Book Design and Imaging

Font Licensing??

Someone who wrote a book through a regular publisher said she had to purchase the rights to use the font in her book.    Can anyone tell me how this works with Blurb books.  Now that I’ve got a book all ready to publish I’m wondering if I’m going to be in trouble with the fonts I use??  

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
vintagegirl4
Jan 5, 2008 6:29pm PDT
vintagegirl4

Hi there –
As long as you have rights (i.e. you own the font) you can use the font in your book. The font file is not actually passed to Blurb when you upload your book.

So, both Mac OSX and MS Windows come with a library of fonts pre-installed that you “own” as part of purchasing that operating system. If you have downloaded a font online or been given a font by a friend you indeed do need to legally purchase the rights to that font for any usage. For example, one of Blurb’s corporate fonts is call Performa. We have purchased rights to use this font internally, but we cannot simply give that font to a service agency, such as our PR agency. They need to purchase the font themselves.

Does that help?
Cheers, Chad, VP Design

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Jan 7, 2008 12:07pm PDT
CapnScrappy

So it sounds like I am safe to sell my book comercially as my font comes with my MS Windows library so I "own" that.  Big whew!   

Posted by
vintagegirl4
Jan 7, 2008 8:14pm PDT
vintagegirl4

that’s correct. good luck!

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Jan 8, 2008 6:18pm PDT
CapnScrappy