Book Design and Imaging

Locked Family History Template

Blurb,

I just received a flyer from another company (no I’m not jumping ship-love blurb), however they offer a Family History Template.

I would encourage you to also create a template for people who create genealogies. (This is a Hugh market you could tap into)

What was neat about the template, it look like a typical genealogy (tree) but it had a picture holder for each person.

IF you do make this template please offer Trees that move vertically and horizontally. Also, allow the tree to full bleed over two pagers. This would be best for your 8X10 and 11X13 formats.

Also look at some family tree software and look at the forms that they use. You could offer these as well.

Comments?

Posted by
pictureme
Jan 8, 2008 4:07pm PDT
pictureme

This is an issue for me too, as I am planning my next book to be a combination of family history and genealogy and photos.  I have used FamilyTree Maker software for years, but I’m a little hestiate to try to do the book in the Ancestry Press program—it seems very awkward to me, although I haven’t actually tried it.  I’m caught between one program that contains all of the data, reports and trees (Family Tree Maker) ,and one that is great for design of text and photos (Blurb), but neither fits exactly what I’d like to have.   Also, from what I understand the 2008 version of Family Tree Maker has become a disaster for users, so I am unlikely to become more dependent on that software.  Anyway, I sent a request to Blurb this week requesting that they figure out a way to at least import GEDCOM files.   The problem for me with tree templates is that when you get ready to print it out, you are limited to 5 or 6 generations, and it gets complicated to display when you have 18 generations over multiple pages.  

Posted by
bc3550
Jan 10, 2008 8:22am PDT
bc3550

HEy BC3550,

thanks for you input.

Let not scare Blurb with GEDCOM compatibility (Just yet LOL). I’d be happy with the templates. Blurb you could do this in no time and as I said reach a larger market.

Keep smiling

Posted by
pictureme
Jan 11, 2008 10:04pm PDT
pictureme

I have a 1,000 plus old family photos and am doing a series of family photo albums and am interested in geneo templates also. For now I think I will have to create trees in a graphics program, export them as jpgs and use them like photos in blurb. I can be more creative but it will take much more time and knowledge than with templates. I think the family history/photo album is a huge market also.

Posted by
RickKC
Jan 12, 2008 8:52pm PDT
RickKC

Hey RickKC,

That’s a big task and I understand the time constraint.

Most that do genealogy spent a lot of time fact finding and editing old photos, so it would be great just to drag and drop them into templates designed for BookSmart.

Any Staff members willing to weigh in on the topic?

Posted by
pictureme
Jan 14, 2008 10:13pm PDT
pictureme

Great ideas here. I’ll make sure our template designers follow this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Jan 15, 2008 10:36am PDT
kathybad

We are just starting on a 8 generation book and a template that would incorporate several pictures with a caption area per person would be wonderful.

Posted by
mikedobson
Feb 2, 2008 8:18am PDT
mikedobson

I would love to see Blurb create a geneaology template. I am working on a family history and have been frustrated trying to create my own. It would be fantastic if it could be designed to bleed over two pages; a lot of trees are quite large.

Posted by
nanseaj
Jun 30, 2010 8:19am PDT
nanseaj

This is a very good idea. I see it’s been 2 and a half years since Kathy commented about them looking into it. The genealogy/family history area has a LOT of people wanting to do their own book, but don’t want to purchase a thousand of them…!

I’d like to suggest Blurb send out a survey asking for things customers would like to see in the templates. Backgounds would be very important, plus various eras.

Compatibility with the Family Tree Maker software files would be a great plus.

Blurb, any progress on this<cite>??</cite>? 

Posted by
koolkat
Jul 12, 2010 5:31pm PDT
koolkat

You can save your family tree as a jpg, tiff, or pdf in “Reunion” for Mac. I saved my family tree as a jpg and printed 11" X 17" charts for family.

The charts can be sized differently with a choice of configurations.

Jack

Posted by
Jackc
Jul 13, 2010 12:34pm PDT
Jackc

Ancestry.com has a program called mycanvas. You can make posters, photo books and calandars directly from your ancestery database. You aren’t using Family Tree Maker. I have 3 books going right now and the software is pretty robust. They have templates, backgrounds, embellishments etc. You can update your pages as you make changes to your database. I have seen the printed quality at a recent Genealogy Conference and it was on par with Shutterfly, Blurb etc. Their cover options are limited for large books right now, but maybe that will change. If you truly want to make a Family Tree Book, then check out this product. Blurb will never (IMHO) be able to duplicate this funtionality for a family tree.

Posted by
needlepoint
Jul 20, 2010 9:42am PDT
needlepoint

That’s a great idea, there are so many applications for that template. Creating a family tree book is a really nice touch and a great gift for a start. Secondly, many history books could make use of the template for a multitude of reasons.

Posted by
DrewberryMI
Aug 5, 2010 1:53am PDT
DrewberryMI