Book Design and Imaging

Custom Patterns

How can I use a custom pattern for the background of book pages.

And if it can be done, how much should it be faded to match the ones

included in the program.

Thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
psguru
Jan 14, 2008 10:28am PDT
psguru

I would suggest making a page in Photoshop.
The Blurb book page specs are listed somewhere on this site.

Opacity would be your preference.
Try 10 or 15%.

Posted by
TomM
Jan 14, 2008 8:55pm PDT
TomM

Thanks Tom.

Here is the link to Blurberati Blog article entitled, “Look No further for full-bleed page specs…”

http://blurberatiblog.com/index.php/2007/04/24/look-no-further-for-full-bleed-page-specs/

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 14, 2008 10:42pm PDT
brianbonitz

Did the photoshop thing and works great with templates that have the full  bleed

photo box on them but what I want to do is to add the pattern to any page like you

can do with the included patterns in book smart.

Posted by
psguru
Jan 15, 2008 5:06am PDT
psguru

The ability to drag a picture onto a page and have it become the background of the page would be a powerful addition to Booksmart. The picture could be an actual photograph or a manipulated pattern. It would automatically double – at least – the number of possible templetes and, by dragging a layout made in PS onto a page with text blocks, eliiminate the possible text artifacts that others have mentioned when importing a .jpg which includes text.

Posted by
flatcoat77
Jan 15, 2008 10:10am PDT
flatcoat77

Some iPhoto books can do this.
Until then you could make a page with your photo and a background in Photoshop.
Then import complete.

Posted by
TomM
Jan 15, 2008 7:21pm PDT
TomM

Is it possible, to upload a customized pattern onto the inside cover and back cover pages? If so, how does one do this?

Posted by
Elenab
Aug 18, 2008 10:47am PDT
Elenab

I’d like to add my name as someone who would really like this.  It seems like a very straightforward feature (and user expectation)

I tried to play around with the image files in BookSmart to see if I could swap out an existing background, but couldn’t figure out how to do it. 

The full-bleed option isn’t as good as having this functionality by default, since you might need to make changes later on, or might be using other ornamental graphic elements.  I’d much rather change a single file and have it flow through the book, than go into Photoshop to modify the background of 200 separate files.

Thanks!

Posted by
Scott99999
Aug 18, 2008 11:21am PDT
Scott99999

Elenab – It’s not possible to add anything to the inside cover pages. They are blocked pages, and will be plain white in the finished book…

Scott99999 – A request for "custom backgrounds" has been filed with Blurb many times, and hopefully it is on their list of development enhancements… but it always helps to add your name to that list… File a request here…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 18, 2008 11:32am PDT
lkb-28