Book Design and Imaging

Poll: Gutter Width

Hi Everyone,

I’m working on making some free templates for people who want to make their own layouts.  I want to make them for all the different size books in both Photoshop and InDesign so everyone would be able to use them.  The only problem is that I’ve only made one book so I need your help trying to figure out what gutter widths work best for each type of book.  So this is for everyone who’s created their own layout and received a book back.

If you could please respond it the following format I’d really appreciate it.

1.)  Number of pages in your book

2.)  Total gutter width you used (the gutter on both pages added together)

3.)  Soft or hardcover  (not sure this makes a difference)

4.)  If you’d recommend using the gutter width you used

Thanks for your help!

Robin

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
rlmaly
Jan 17, 2008 9:30am PDT
rlmaly

I’ll start off the poll…

1.)  276 pages

2.)  1/2"

3.)  Hardcover

4.)  Yes, it worked out very well.  Things lined up perfectly.

Posted by
rlmaly
Jan 17, 2008 9:33am PDT
rlmaly

Holy cats. When will they be ready to go? I just found this wonderful place, and started trying to re-do a book I had just spent two days doing in iphoto – but the templates’ inflexibility drove me wild. At least iphoto adjusts to the size of your photo, which is a blessing. I’m dying to use this software, but I really, really want the freedom to make my own templates.

So you’re my hero.

Posted by
murphyspubli
Jan 18, 2008 5:25pm PDT
murphyspubli

Okay. I’ll be second:

1) 278 pages

2) I used your guide, so it was the same

3) Hardcover

4) I’d use it again – but the trim job they did on my book was really not good. I ended up with 1/8 black on the top and at least a quarter on the bottom of the page – very, very uneven trim and inconsistent from page to page. I did a two page spread that ended up off-set, one page from the other. So it was very disappointing. I used the black background, full page bleed, and worked very, very hard with my page composition, centering the entire composition so that it was pleasing all the way around. But to have it come back like this was sad. If I hadn’t used your safety margin, it would have been even worse.

Posted by
murphyspubli
Feb 23, 2008 6:56pm PDT
murphyspubli

my trim was pretty uneven too.

Posted by
thesmu
Feb 25, 2008 4:02pm PDT
thesmu

My small trial book was 24 pages, hard cover.  I used a gutter width of 1/2 inch (.25 on each page) my photos that crossed the gutter came out perfect!  I used a quarter on the outside edges though, and think that it cut it a little close.  I think I’ll use a little larger there next time.  I have a slightly bigger book I should be getting next week that I used a smaller margin on and a full half on the outside edges.  I’ll post those results as well.  Good luck.  Lisa

Posted by
lisasketch
Feb 27, 2008 7:18pm PDT
lisasketch

Ok, second book in, here’s the stats:

Large Format

Hardcover

36 pages

Outside margins: 1/2 inch (I like to keep the text as far away from the trim as possible, this margin looks great on the large book, of course would not recomend for the smaller books)

Gutter: 3/8" each side, 3/4 " for both pages together.  Everything was still lined up perfectly (I did my smaller book at a quarter on each side) to the initial look over, I have to push the binding apart a bit to see that it is not perfect. I wold still recomend the 1/4" on each page for the books with a small nub\mber of pages.

Hope this helps, Lisa

Posted by
lisasketch
Mar 6, 2008 7:47pm PDT
lisasketch

Robin,

I just finished my first book using your template idea.  I actually made my own in an action rather than a file.

I was intrigued by the idea of writing a Visual Basic program to interface with Photoshop, so I wrote one to split the two page template into two separate jpegs.  I couldn’t figure out how to do it in a single pass with actions (I could do it with two separate actions, but where is the fun in that).  I wrote the program, it works great and I’m modifying it to actually produce the the templates as if an action was run.  The coding will be complete in the next couple of days.   I’ll still need to write a help file.

When finished, the program will produce a full bleed template for any book, single or double page, or cover.  Allow a user specified gutter (overlap) for any double page template, and batch split an entire directory of double pages regardless of gutter specification.

I need to figure out a server to post it on and will be looking for guinea pigs to test it next week.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 12, 2008 3:25pm PDT
Charybdis

Mike,

how did you get on with the VB programme? Any sign of it being available to others? e.g. me :-)

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 9, 2008 1:10am PDT
tfrankland

i have an interesting gutter comment: it seems that the trim on my book was almost imperceptible. I had a few double page panoramic layouts and the images lined up almost perfectly, i can’t tell if anything was actually trimmed!! what i had in the preview was pretty damn close to what i got as a final product and i did not even account for any margins/gutters.

i had a 7×7 hardcover with dust cover, 134 pages.

i guess weirder things have happened… i was VERY pleased that my inages did not get cut off. 

Posted by
yummyducky66
Jun 9, 2008 1:21pm PDT
yummyducky66

anyone have stats on books 160-180 pages?

Posted by
kazoodoctor
Jun 10, 2008 2:05pm PDT
kazoodoctor

Tony,

Sorry I didn’t see your request earlier, I’d not come back to this thread in many months.  I thought I’d get an email if someone replied to the thread.

I finished the VB program in May 2008.  The program works great.  I did a 200 page book, entirely in photoshop with it.  It does everything I advertised above.  It automates all the mundane tasks associated with Photoshop to Blurb page generation.  I’ve started converting it to a photoshop plugin.  I find plugins are much more difficult to write than the program was.

I’d be happy to send you a copy, providing you promise to critique the program and make any suggestions for improvement (bug fixes, new features, etc.).

Send an email to sosnoski@roadrunner.com

Subject: PS2Blurb VB program

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Nov 26, 2008 10:43am PDT
Charybdis