Book Design and Imaging

Pictures are not full bleed :-(

Hello,

I just received my first book for proofing. However I am not really satisfied about the results, and would like to know how to improve things. (The quality of the binding and printing is OK!!)

My problem is the following. I have a lot of drawings that I would lke to use in the book. The drawings were scanned using Photoshop and have a white background. In Photoshop (CS3) I resized all drawings to 7" x 7". However it seems that when importing the drawings in booksmart, the drawings are trimmed. Result is that in the book the drawings are not full bleed (I choosed Full bleed picture-page in Booksmart), but the background of the page-layout is being shown "through" the drawing. I tried using a White background in BookSmart, but that didn’t work either….

You will see what i mean in the pdf that as been generated by Blurb. Look at page 11 where the drawing of the flamengo-dancer is a rectangle on a light grey page, where the drawing in Photoshop was 7×7 inches square with a white background!

Please help!

Thanks very much in advance!

Fred

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
giessenborch
Jan 24, 2008 7:00am PDT
giessenborch

Hi Fred;

It looks to me as if you have two different problems here…

Easy one first; if you look at page 10, where the fish’s tail has been chopped off, the reason for that is that the actual page size on the finished product is 6.9" x 6.9"...

7×7 is only the "descriptor" for the book. If you hovver your mouse over the page, a small window pops up with the optimum page & pixel sizings you need to apply…

So, if you are pre-preparing your pages in Photoshop, you need to take these lost gutters into account… (The reasons are to do with the printing & guillotining process to ensure edge to edge printing…)

On the "Flamenco Dancer" page – with respect – are you sure that the original image canvas was expanded to 7" across? I ask because I have been guilty of the same error – in not widening the background in photoshop before saving the image…)

If you are sure, then I really don’t have any help for you on that front… there is no reason (that I can think of) why the background would show through a full-bleed imported image… If it’s a Blurb problem, I suggest you file a Tech Support report with them… (You can access the submission for from the HELP page link at the top of this page…)

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jan 24, 2008 7:23am PDT
lkb-28

Dear Lee,

Thanks for your response! Referring to page 10: This was meant like it ;-)

Referring to page 11, I am 100% sure. I used the Image canvas resizing (is this correct?).

In fact, some other drawings even haven’t been clipped to square or rectangle but as triangle :-(.

Very weird! I will submit a Tech Support report.

Fred

Posted by
giessenborch
Jan 24, 2008 7:42am PDT
giessenborch

Extending the canvas size and choosing white will increase the dimensions of the document with a #ffffff white.
Which will not necessarily be the same white as the paper color in your drawing.

Click on canvas size, then choose “canvas extension color”>other and sample your paper color.

Or, if the scan of the drawing is on it’s own layer, create blank layer below it, sample the paper color and fill the layer below to get a better match.

Posted by
TomM
Jan 24, 2008 9:52am PDT
TomM

Dear Tom,

Thanks very much! That’s the answer for my problem! You really helped me!

Fred

Posted by
giessenborch
Jan 26, 2008 1:41am PDT
giessenborch