Book Design and Imaging

Paper Type and Blurb logo

Two questions I’d like help with. Is there a way to stipulate matte vs. glossy paper? And is there a way to delete  the blurb logo?

Thanks for any help.

Elsa Rubenstein

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Elsa
Jan 30, 2008 10:36am PDT
Elsa

From what I’ve read in this forum, there currently is no way to choose the paper type.

Posted by
dius
Jan 30, 2008 12:13pm PDT
dius

Elsa,

The one and only paper is "semi-matte".  It has a slight sheen, but pretty flat.  The logo in the front on the copyright page can be removed by deleting it, but the one on the final page cannot. 

Posted by
dagree
Jan 30, 2008 12:59pm PDT
dagree

Or you can always pay a bit extra and use your own, customised logo.

http://www.blurb.com/create/book/logo_pricing

Emma

Posted by
ejtumman
Jan 30, 2008 1:15pm PDT
ejtumman

They phrase it like it’s some custom feature.
But it’s basically a $10 surcharge to remove their logo.

I like the books and the company but I see this an unnecessary and unfair expense.

Posted by
TomM
Jan 30, 2008 2:00pm PDT
TomM

Tom,

When was the last time you bought any consumer product (no fruit or veg allowed) that didn’t have a logo?  Do you sign your paintings?  Do you want people who see them to look to see who painted them and maybe look you up to buy one?  Blurb’s logo in back is pretty discrete, and removing it probably does involve some custom handling since their automated system is likely set up to put it in every book.  Plus, they lose the advertising value of the logo.  It may seem unnecessary and unfair to you, but for them the logic is unassailable.

By the way, your paintings are very beautiful.

David 

Posted by
dagree
Jan 30, 2008 5:34pm PDT
dagree

Thanks for looking, David.

Totally disagree about the logo.
You can barely see my signature on paintings and collectors actually want it signed otherwise the painting is less authentic and valuable.
No such situation exists with these books.
If they were handmade individually by a craftsman, using archival materials, that would be different.

To me, the logo is not discrete. That bright blue on a black background stands out like a sore thumb and looks cheap.
That’s why I pay to remove it.

If you would like a direct analogy consider Apple’s iPhoto books.
For a long time they included their logo on the inside back cover.
They got enough requests that with the current sofware you can choose to delete it.
AT NO CHARGE.

“Plus, they lose the advertising value of the logo.”
Impossible to verify.
I think the positive PR gained by removing this surcharge would outweigh any alleged loss of advertising.

“but for them the logic is unassailable”
Yes in terms of collecting an extra $10.

Posted by
TomM
Jan 30, 2008 6:16pm PDT
TomM

I hadn’t joined in this discussion before as I was thinking for my one-off book maybe $10 wasn’t that bad.

Now I’ve got 4 people asking can they buy a copy when I’ve finished it. So I went and checked the pricing charts. For my 13"x11" 150 page book it will be £43.95 with the Blurb logo, £58.95 without. That’s £15 difference…..$30 US. So for 5 books I’ll be paying an extra £75 or $150 US.

BlurbThat’s $150! - so a normally calm and friendly Tony is feeling somewhat different towards you this Sunday morning :-(  

I really do feel that you should rethink this aspect of your pricing policies.

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 3, 2008 3:37am PDT
tfrankland

Why is £15 per book when it is only $10?? Surely it should be nearer the £5 mark then!! That starts making what is a great value product not so great value.

Or is the price charged to remove the logo dependant on the size of the book, number of pages, etc? In which case I personally don’t think it should change because surely it would take exactly the same time and process to remove it from any book produced.

Posted by
hc.bailey
Feb 4, 2008 5:23am PDT
hc.bailey

Canon someone please tell me if the last page JUST has the Blurb logo, or does it also have a barcode?

Obviously, a barcode on a white background doesn’t look too bad, but my pages are black.

Emma

Posted by
ejtumman
Feb 4, 2008 6:24am PDT
ejtumman

Hey Tom! Nice book…..I hope you liked it, although I gather you were’nt totally pleased with the print quality….but it looks good on screen, anyway….K.

Posted by
cantudoit2
Feb 4, 2008 3:27pm PDT
cantudoit2

Emma – in my books, the last page was white (I didn’t try to change it… can you?), has the Blurb logo at the center of the bottom edge, and the bar code in the bottom left corner (running vertically). In the hardcover version, there is the blank, white end-paper after that.

Posted by
MtnViewMark
Feb 6, 2008 10:26pm PDT
MtnViewMark

Absolutely outrageous. You want to extract ten bucks or so from me to remove this ugly thing, fine. Once. But on every book? It’s insane.

Actually, no. Scratch that. You want your logo on my book, you should pay ME ten bucks per copy to put it there.

Pffft!

Posted by
Kent_Barrett
Oct 11, 2010 6:55am PDT
Kent_Barrett

I am currently waiting on the first edition of my book, and if everything seems good, I’ll order +/- 10 more copies.

I don’t think the prices concerning the "removal" (really, what they are doing is NOT printing one extra piece of paper if you’re using PDF to Book) of the logo is reasonable. For one copy, it adds me $22, for ten copies, $220. That’s extreme, and I agree with the person suggesting a one-time fee, but I think it shouldn’t be anything more than $1 – after all Blurb is saving money and time by not printing out one more page.

Posted by
vidarv
Oct 11, 2010 9:03am PDT
vidarv