Book Design and Imaging

Confused about booksmart layout

Hello,

I have a question: I am printing a 8×11 photo book using booksmart.

According to the template specified, there is the back-cover, front-cover and side flaps to each perfect. Next comes the "Title" page. I assume this will be a ‘front facing page’. Then comes the copyright page – is this the "back" of the title page, or is this also a "front facing" page? The reason I ask is that the template adds another page (empty page for image) after the "Copyright" page. That makes sense to me only if "Copyright" is a "front facing" page. If it is an inside page (i.e. behind the title page, then I don’t see a reason for the extra page, in which case I should delete it and start my photos.

thanks for any clarification

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
arjunrc
Jan 30, 2008 4:18pm PDT
arjunrc

The copyright page is the back of the title page. I added an intro page after (front facing) in order to make is flow better.  Hope that helps!

Posted by
mandyc2282
Jan 30, 2008 4:57pm PDT
mandyc2282

Thanks Mandy! I just put in an order for a 140 page book. I hope it turns out good!

Posted by
arjunrc
Jan 30, 2008 7:15pm PDT
arjunrc

Wow, thats awesome, I was really pleased with mine when it came, Im sure you will be too!

Posted by
mandyc2282
Jan 31, 2008 12:15pm PDT
mandyc2282

Hi. I just uploaded my first book – about 148 pages. My BookSmart software shows my page spreads correctly.. (all odd numbered pages on the right hand side)

So, page 1 is the title page essentially and then spread 2&3 is the next spread, and on goes the book. Since I have an image on page 2 (backside of page 1 – the title page) will Blurb add another page for copyright? I did not leave room for this and as far as I can recall.. a special "copyright page" never showed up within the software  (for me to then delete). Will the copyright run on top of the photo I placed there?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? 

Im using BookSmart 1.7.5.  

Thanks, Kathryn  

Posted by
citykitty
Feb 6, 2008 8:53am PDT
citykitty

Nope – Copyright is just a layout type. If you don’t include one, you don’t get one. Where the copyright and title page or pages go is all a matter of personal choice.

I notice that many books at Blurb run:

1: Title
2,3: Copyright / Introduction

When designing my book I pulled a bunch of similar books off my shelves and looked at the opening layouts. Most popular seems to be:

1: Half-Title (page w/just the title of the book)
2,3: Frontispiece / Title (title w/author and publisher)
4,5: Copyright / Table of Contents
6,7: ToC continued or blank / Introduction

But I found a pretty wide variety, including some with the copyright page at back of the book (this in a recently published, U.S. book, by a well known publisher, too!)

By the way, 1.7.5 is somewhat old. You should download the latest version before starting any new books – there are a load of new templates in 1.9. When you start a new book in 1.9, with most options you get a default copyright page in the mix of initial pages. But you can delete it or move it just like any other page (except, of course the required last, “Blurb” page).

Posted by
MtnViewMark
Feb 6, 2008 10:18pm PDT
MtnViewMark

Thanks Mountain View.. I had actually set my intro pages to be more as you describe and at the last minute, threw in an extra picture (on what perhaps should have been a copyright page).. so I kind threw-off the "sequeing" nature of the opening pages. 

I later also realized that my PDF book preview (as downloaded from Blurb’s "sale page") looks as I had anticipated it would, so that gave me some piece of mind)

Anyway..

Yes, I know I SHOULD upgrade. I confess I’m a bit concerned about the still ongoing posts about the stability of this software. Perhaps I’ve let myself fall victim to these "Squeaky-Wheel" posts and let them cloud my thinking. Is the latest version ("Nine Point Whatever") working for the majority of the Users?

Posted by
citykitty
Feb 7, 2008 8:48am PDT
citykitty