Book Design and Imaging

Does bookmaking influence your photography?

Blurbarians,

The books I’ve  made so far were with pictures I had already shot … vacations, family gatherings etc.  Or, in the case of a cookbook I got stock pics or pics from online pic sites.  Now that I feel marginally competant with Booksmart, I’ve thought about going out and taking pics specifically for a book I have in mind.  I’m already composing images in my head that will work for specific needs such as covers or title pages.  Do any of you go out with a list of the sort of pics you want to incorporate into your next book or do you just shoot and work it all out later?

For professional photographers, do you shoot with the possibilities and limitations of this relatively new medium in mind?  If not yet, will you in the future?  Will the emergence of this medium influence your work as much as, say, the switch to digital?

Just curious,

David 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dagree
Feb 2, 2008 6:46pm PDT
dagree

I’m only half-way through doing my first book, but I’m already planning the second. They’ll both be wildlife photos with information, observations, etc about the birds, animals, etc.

What I’ve found with the book that is WIP is that it is more interesting with a variety of sizes and proportions of photographs, rather than just pasting in the photos as I took them – that makes it look too much like a classical photo album. But my photos were all composed for the classical 3:2 proportions I see through my viewfinder and I tended to print in rougly in those proportions (6"x4" or A4 or A3). So cropping for different sized templates in the book was losing parts of the picture I wanted, so I haven’t got as much variety as I would like.

What I will do if I know the photographs I’m taking are for a book is just stand back a bit, or not zoom in quite so close giving me a "border" round the prime subject that I’d be happy to crop off when I’m sizing the photo to put in the book.

Well that’s the theory, whether I can actually remember to put that into practice is another matter all together.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 3, 2008 1:17am PDT
tfrankland

I, too,  am nearly finished my first book. (Its a photo album of my daughter titled "Emma: up to 5".)

It wasn’t until I was nearly finished that I came up with an Idea for the cover. So I grabbed the camera and talked her into an impromptu photoshoot so I could get the cover shot I wanted.

Now I’m already planning future pics for my next book. 

Posted by
tommybitt
Feb 5, 2008 1:03pm PDT
tommybitt

I do a lot of motorsport photography, and I take photos speciifcaly with publication in mind. I make sure I have "stock" shots of each car, from different angles, portraits of drivers where possible, and good racing shots, plus vertically framed shots to stick on text pages.

Posted by
thompp
Feb 6, 2008 7:55am PDT
thompp