Book Design and Imaging

Print Preview= Real Deal?

I just finished printing a preview of my first book and I was surprised to see some of the pictures looking quite pixelated. If that is how they look coming off my printer is it safe to say they will look like that in the printed book as well?
I used pictures of high resolution /size. I am thinking that it could be my cheap printer that makes the quality look bad or that my book is 7×7 and the printer is not compensating for that….
Any words of wisdom before I freak out and change all my pictures!
Thank you
Allison

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
zeebean
Feb 5, 2008 12:46pm PDT
zeebean

No, the local print preview is deliberately low-res. So long as you aren’t getting any of the yellow triangle warning symbols when viewing the book in BookSmart, the book will print fine.

I believe that Blurb decided to have BookSmart print low-res previews to keep us from taking the print output to another print service. I think the disservice to book designers is far worse than the possible loss of business.

Posted by
MtnViewMark
Feb 6, 2008 10:22pm PDT
MtnViewMark

Mark,

Come on!  You’re obviously in some tech busimess.  You have to understand that the output is their business.  Their software is free.  Unless they can ensure that users will print a book through them and not someone else, they have no business.  They could sell the software, but there are dozens of estabished layout programs already.  It’s software and printing, as a package, that is appealing.  And anyway, who buys applications anymore?  They make money printing books.  I’m sure they don’t want to be a non-profit front end for LuLu.

David 

Posted by
dagree
Feb 6, 2008 11:34pm PDT
dagree

Thank you so much
I totally had put my book on hold until I knew for sure!
Honestly if it keeps blurb free I am fine with proofing low res pics but they should have a big warning about it so newbies like myself don’t freak out and trash their work.
Thanks again
Allison

Posted by
zeebean
Feb 7, 2008 7:12am PDT
zeebean

My pages print out just fine on my photo printer, unless I deliberately change the setting to make it go faster for the proof.  Every photo that I have put in a book has printed exactly as the original so far.  I don’t calibrate my screen, I don’t try to adjust to any kind of print profile, and even those with the yellow warning light have been just fine (of course, there is a limit to how much you can stretch that, but I haven’t seen a problem yet).  This stuff about "disservice to book designers" seems a little strange to me.  Why would a book designer need the Blurb page layout to get it printed somewhere else?   If you’re a book designer then you certainly have the tools and the skills to do page layouts that can be printed elsewhere.   

Allison, as long as you don’t expect your photos to come out better than your originals you should be fine.  

Posted by
bc3550
Feb 8, 2008 7:44am PDT
bc3550

What about background.    I put some blurb backgrounds on my pages from booksmart, they look good on the computer, when I print a preview, you can hardly tell there is a background.

Posted by
hjordan2001
Feb 8, 2008 9:10pm PDT
hjordan2001