Book Design and Imaging

About full-bleed "Trim Area"

Is there a grid or guide to show us where the 1/8" trim would be? Can’t seem to find it…  I’m not exactly sure where the 1/8’’ cut off point is.  I am making a Large Format Landscape book.

If I want to print full bleed without cropping the important parts on my photo each side, do I keep my photos before the start of the  ’round circle scissor icon’?  What I mean is that, should I resize the photo so that I leave some black in between where the round cirle scissor icon start and end? like try to keep my photos before the icon?  Is that where the 1/8’’ is?  

If I keep my photos before that icon, and if that’s where the trim area, then I’ll still be getting full bleed since that area will be trimmed off (if I keep the trimmed off area black).... is that right?

Hope to get an answer about this… as it’s giving me a headache… 

Thanks again.

~Kristine

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Kristinec
Apr 4, 2008 5:14pm PDT
Kristinec

Kristinec –

There are no guides in BookSmart b/c we are not able to present a precise trim line. This is just the rule in print production and trimming of pages in general even in the offset and magazine publishing world. You’ll have a trim between 1/8 and 1/16 inch from the visible edge of the page in BooKSmart. The scissors icon does not represent a cut point. If you pull in your images from the edge there is a chance that that a sliver of the background will show. 

One suggestion, if you have imagery you are worried of losing at all along the edge I’d choose a new layout you’ll find in the newset version of BookSmart released last week. This new layout, first row, second column in 13×11 Picture Layouts – has a full buffer around the edge that isn’t full-bleed and guarantees that nothing with get trimmed, but is as close as you can get to a full-bleed option. 

Thanks – Chad, VP design 

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Apr 14, 2008 11:37am PDT
CapnScrappy

That was helpful Chad!!! I was having a hard time with my images cropping and the resizing process.  This fixed my problem.

Posted by
siren1920
Apr 19, 2008 5:24pm PDT
siren1920