Book Design and Imaging

Locked Photo captions from exif data?

After putting descriptions for my photos into the exif metadata (using Lightroom), it doesn’t seem like booksmart has any way to access that information in creating captions for photos. 

Is this a feature being considered for a future version?

A layout that could pull filenames, descriptions or other exif info would be fantastic.

Posted by
doug809
Apr 5, 2008 6:10pm PDT
doug809

hi doug –

Thanks for your suggestion. This is a feature we are considering for future versions, but I cannot at this time confirm when it might be available. 

- Chad 

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Apr 15, 2008 12:14pm PDT
CapnScrappy

Dude, add my vote to Doug’s comment.  I have titles and captions embedded in all my photos too (in the EXIF metadata) and it’s a pain to copy them manually into Booksmart.

Posted by
cbarron
Dec 18, 2008 9:12pm PDT
cbarron

I have been looking all over the place for someone who will slurb my photos with the embedded exif captions and add them automatically to a photo book!  Shutterfly is close to getting it done.  They pick up the exif captions when uploaded through Picasa but don’t have an "auto caption" option to print these captions with photos in a book.  Please, please add this feature to your next version! Please!

Posted by
tupelosun
Jan 2, 2009 3:20pm PDT
tupelosun

Add me to this list.  I spend a lot of time when I download from the camera to fill all this information into Lightroom.  I don’t like having to re-enter it later into other programs.

Posted by
angrysong
Jan 8, 2009 9:47pm PDT
angrysong

Has there been any progress on this topic? I am very interested in the capability also.

Thanks!

Posted by
mainsail
Mar 19, 2009 10:51am PDT
mainsail

With Lightroom, one approach might be to add the IPTC or EXIF caption on the bottom of the layout (Overlay panel) and to use Print’s ability to output to JPEG instead of to a printer. As this means the text will go onto the JPEGs which you import into Booksmart, you would need to "print" the JPEGs from  Lightroom at the exact size needed for the Booksmart page, and not resize the JPEG text.

John

Posted by
johnbeardy
Apr 1, 2009 12:44pm PDT
johnbeardy

Another vote for this!

I’d love to be able to put the capture date and time as overlays on my images, with a custom format like DD Month, YYYY.

Lightroom does an excellent job of exporting images with the right embedded data and filenames, so they are the example to follow.

Posted by
touchbook
Jul 15, 2009 5:35pm PDT
touchbook

Count me in for this. I have a lot of information stored as a caption, and would love to be able to import it.

Posted by
mshayes01
Mar 20, 2010 8:39pm PDT
mshayes01

Count me in as well; I spend a lot of time adding keywords and captions to my pictures in Lightroom, so if this was possible then creating a book afterwards would be a dream!

Posted by
nevjak
Apr 2, 2010 12:17pm PDT
nevjak

We use exif rather extensively. Please do count me in.

Posted by
thniels
May 2, 2010 10:52am PDT
thniels