Book Design and Imaging

Best Font to use

I searched for the answer on this forum but didnt find much. Some say Arial is the best font. Any other opinions about which is the most readible and preferred font? I know its a personal preference but I prefer to use something that has been proven among readers. Thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Wayne88
Apr 26, 2008 8:39pm PDT
Wayne88

That depends on what the font is being for. 

Serif fonts (the fonts that have little feet on the bottom and top of each "line") like Times New Roman or Georgia are best for long blocks of body type because they help the reader keep their eyes on the line of text they are using.  Sans Serif fonts (Arial, Helvetica, etc.) that don’ t have the "feet" are good for smaller blocks of text or headlines.  Its harder for most people to read large blocks of text that are in Arial or Helvetica.  I have favorite headline fonts (like Modern 20, a serif font) that simply don’t well IMHO in text blocks.

I personally tend to stay with standard fonts because there is less of a conflict issue at print time in most situations.   I’ll also choose one Sans Serif font and one serif font for a project, and then use them in a consistent format (sizes, reasons for placement, readability, etc.) throughout the work unless a graphics reason calls for a special artistic font, and then a single use will work.

One last rule I follow- NEVER, EVER use an artistic font (scripts, for one) for blocks of text.  They can lead to reader confusion.  If you are temped to do ask yourself, do I want people to read this text, or do I want them to spend their energy decoding the in text?

Posted by
stude62
Apr 27, 2008 7:29am PDT
stude62

Excellent answer. Thanks. Just what I was looking for. I quite like Comic Sans MS. Sounds like this will be a good choice?

Posted by
Wayne88
Apr 29, 2008 4:48pm PDT
Wayne88

In all the books I have written I have used Arial throughout (unless I have printed a quotation).

I agree with what you say about Serif fonts being the accepted norm, but to me they are somewhat dated, and I find Arial clean cut and ‘modern’ looking – and I don’t find any difficulty reading it. You’ve only got to look at this page…

David Latimer

Posted by
May 15, 2008 9:06am PDT

Oh – and I don’t think I would have use for Comic – but then I suppose it depends what the book subject is.

D

Posted by
May 15, 2008 9:07am PDT

Oh – and I don’t think I would have use for Comic – but then I suppose it depends what the book subject is.

D

Posted by
May 15, 2008 9:08am PDT

Don’t take this the wrong way, Wayne, but Comic Sans is something of a standing joke among designers and typographers because it is so overused (and misused).

If you want to make a professional-looking book I would steer clear of it, but it is of course up to you… :)

Posted by
robkingston
May 16, 2008 12:20pm PDT
robkingston