Book Design and Imaging

Back cover question...

Hi everyone,

Here is the thing : I’ like to start making a concept photo book merging works of 2 photographers. And I was thinking making the book upside down : The first part presents the work of the first photographer, then in the middle of the book we switch to the work of the second photographer, but upside down ? Ok ?

So of course, the great idea with that is that it allows us to have two covers for the book : one at the begining and one in the end. We’ll have to hang the book upside down to correctly view it.

But : Is anyone here knows if this is possible ? I already know we can’t write typos or put pictures upside down using blurb software, that’s why I wanted to use adobe indesign. Neverless, I’m not sure about the logo at the end : The blurb logo is always in the back cover righ ? And what about the bar code ? Is there a way to remove it completly from the back cover ? In order to just have a full bleed photo ?

I hope you’ll undestand my english, and that you’ll take time to read me.

Thank you ! 

Best

TibO 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tibbaal
May 7, 2008 1:49am PDT
tibbaal

TibO, have a look at this similar post…

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/2313

The Blurb logo is not on the back cover, but on the last page of the book.

Where do you live? I have just (10 minutes ago) received my book and there is no bar code on the back cover – it is a hardback 13×11 book. It was printed in The Netherlands and shipped to me in the UK. I believe, from other posts rather than from personal experience, that the Blurb bar code is only present on books printed in the US. If you live in Europe it will be printed in The Netherlands.

Good luck, I like the idea!

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 7, 2008 2:00am PDT
tfrankland

Hello TibO;

You can just DELETE the Blurb logo page and replace it with whatever you want… however there is a charge for doing so!

As for the bar-code, from what I understand now – you’re stuck with it. I don’t believe there is a way around this! Check-out this Blog post…

You look as if you have eberything else covered…

Good luck;

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
May 7, 2008 2:00am PDT
lkb-28

Did you have a bar-code on yours Lee? This is my second book from The Netherlands without a bar code.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 7, 2008 2:06am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony;

NO - but my previous books were printed before the latest changes…

I have a new book in print right now, which will also (should also!) come from The Netherlands… so we’ll see. I’ll add a post to confirm when it arrives – hopefully early next week…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
May 7, 2008 2:10am PDT
lkb-28

Ok thanks to all,

if I get it right, I just have to remove the logo page (paying a charge for that) and hoping my book will be print in Europe !

Cheers

TibO 

Posted by
tibbaal
May 7, 2008 8:43am PDT
tibbaal

Hi Guys;

Update – as promised..

My latest 13×11 book just received minutes ago… printed in The Netherlands…

NO barcode on backpage OR inside…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
May 9, 2008 4:58am PDT
lkb-28

Just to confuse everyone I have had two books printed in the States. One has a barcode and the other doesn’t.

David Latimer

Posted by
May 15, 2008 8:58am PDT

This is a repeat of a post I made to the Blurberati blog on the same topic in this Blog post… It’s not had an answer hence why I’m repeating it here with very slight changes given the different ways in which people started to talk about bar codes on the back cover.

I’m puzzled.

It seems to me there are two sets of people
(a) people who don’t want bar codes on their books
(b) people who want bar codes for ISBN numbers in the place where convention (ie the book shops such as Barnes and Noble) dictate they should be.

I don’t understand what’s the problem. Neilsen states “If you wish to sell your publication through major bookselling chains, or internet booksellers, they will require you to have an ISBN to assist their internal processing and ordering systems.”

An ISBN barcode has therefore got to take precedence over a printers tracking code surely? How is a printers tracking code helping the person paying for the book? (The query on the blog was about why the printers tracking code was on the back cover bit the car code wasn’t)

If, as suggested, the book distributors have a convention as to where the ISBN code goes then that’s where it has to go.

Are some of the printers you are using ones which don’t normally print books for distribution and sale? Again Neilsen states “Most bookshops have now installed electronic point of sale (EPOS) systems, which enable them to keep track of their sales and to re-order books by scanning the barcode. Some retailers refuse to accept books that are not bar coded. Although the barcode will be derived from the ISBN, the agency does not issue them. Probably the best person to speak to about bar coding is your printer, who may have the software required to convert the ISBN into a barcode.”

Why not just make sure that
– all the books that don’t want bar codes get routed to the printers who don’t print bar codes?
– all the people who do want their books to have bar codes have their books sent to printers who have the software to produce the bar code?

Posted by
makingamark
May 17, 2008 6:43am PDT
makingamark