Book Design and Imaging

Does grey area around image come out as the background colour?

Hi hoping someone knows the answer. When putting an image in an image box with say a white background, if you dont want to crop the image to exactly fit the box, will the gray areas automatically be filled in with the background colour?

Thanks  

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kateshaw
May 8, 2008 12:02am PDT
kateshaw

Hi kateshaw;

YES – the BG colour you select will fill any unused arae in the image container…

To see what your page will look like in "print" use the "Preview" button from the editor panel… bottom right. When done switch back by clicking the "Edit" button…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
May 8, 2008 1:06am PDT
lkb-28

A lot of people seem to be confused by this issue. Maybe Blurb need to make the "Preview" mode more obvious, as it seems lots of people aren’t using it!

Posted by
robkingston
May 8, 2008 4:49am PDT
robkingston

I had the same initial confusion – but the gray area is to show that the area is ready for photo data rather than text.

If you hit the PREVIEW button you’ll see the initial default backround color that will be printed.

Posted by
crookback
May 9, 2008 4:35pm PDT
crookback

Hi everyone thanks for your help BUT….I put the book in preview mode and I still get grey bits around my image, not my choice background which is black for some and white for others…...I think the white should be ok (because I am assuming the stock is white) I just dont want the images to have white bits on a black background.

Has anyone done this when the background colour wasnt white?  thanks again!

Posted by
kateshaw
May 11, 2008 8:44pm PDT
kateshaw

Hello kateshaw;

I just ran a quick test using a variety of templates, a selection of images which did NOT fill the container, and a variety of background colours, including some of the more "exotic" ones, and, in ALL cases the BG filled the WHOLE of the unused portions of the image containers…

Can you put up a couple of example screen-shots of a problem page, one in EDIT mode, and the same page in PREVIEW mode, so we can see what you’re getting? That may help point us in the right direction…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
May 12, 2008 1:58am PDT
lkb-28

Check your original image carefully. The grey could be there; if it is use the crop tool to get a clean edge

David Latimer

Posted by
May 15, 2008 8:48am PDT