Book Design and Imaging

when designing image wrap

I am ready to order a book, but want to use the new imagewrap. Do I use the soft cover templates of the hardcover with dustcover templates?

My next question. How can I use one photo to wrap the entire book? It is not giving me that option. When I try it leaves the spine white. Please  help.

thanks am 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
afm
May 8, 2008 1:23pm PDT
afm

afm,

As for your question about wrapping the entire book with one photo, I am not sure if I understand the question.

If you meant wrapping one photo the entire book “as in” dust cover jacket, no. It is not possible at this time. To do this, you can put in two photos, one for front and the other one on back. No image is possible to put inside “spine” area. In spine section of book, you can only put in text in there – like title of book and author/book maker’s name, etc.

Hope that helps, no?

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 8, 2008 2:41pm PDT
brianbonitz

I second this … How do you order in the new hard cover ImageWrap book.?

Posted by
ShannonC
May 9, 2008 9:11am PDT
ShannonC

Hi there

afm, the imagewrap option doesn’t use the flaps of the normal dust-jacketed hardcover book, so just add images to the front and back covers as if you were creating a softcover book.  

As Brian mentioned, it’s not possible to put an image on the spine, you can only have text there. Some people might prefer to change the background color of the spine itself to match their predominant image color, but that’s up to you. I prefer to have a darker spine color to match darker images, a blue spine if my image is mainly blue, etc.

ShannonC, to order an ImageWrap book simply select that option at the time you place your order.

Posted by
mikewhy
May 9, 2008 9:24am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

I have a question on Image Wrap.  I know it says to not have anything critical 1 inch around.  Does that mean that the whole 1 inch will be wrapped inside the book or just a portion of 1 inch.  My problem…I have a softcover version right now…with a photo on the back cover.   The person’s feet are right at the bottom of the cover, and I’d really like the whole foot to stay on the back, rather than a portion be on the inside of the cover.  So….if I move the photo up 1 inch so that I have nothing on the bottom 1 inch….will that whole 1 inch be inside….or is it not that exact that the whole inch will be stretched to the inside?  I don’t really want a border on the outside back cover, but I don’t care about the inside.  Or should I make the border 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch???   Has anyone done a softcover AND an image wrap that could compare the two and offer some advice?  Thanks.

Posted by
camack
Oct 25, 2009 1:26pm PDT
camack

Just thought I’d post the answer I received from Support, which answers my questions perfectly: 

For ImageWrap books, we recommend allowing 7/8" to 1 inch of space between your critical content and the edge of the cover page.

For this binding type, 3/8" of the outer edges of a full-bleed image will get wrapped around the edges of the hard cover. After the 3/8" wrap, your text or other content placed at 1" will now appear 1/2" from the edge of the finished cover.

Posted by
camack
Oct 25, 2009 6:35pm PDT
camack

Your reply above is quite helpful. But it is confusing when the Blurb software says to be sure you leave 1" between critical content and the edge of the cover page. I’m desiging the cover for an image wrap book now and I use a bleed photo on the front cover. I have now moved the image 1/4" from the edge to allow for wrap, so I will lose just a bit of it, which is OK for this photo. Recommending 1" is confusing, so please consider clarifying that instruction in the software if there is really just a 3/8" wrap.

Posted by
ellenagger
Oct 27, 2009 3:55am PDT
ellenagger

The approach is not to move the photo 1/4" from the edge but to allow, in your photo, for the fact that part of it will wrap over the edge. If you leave a white gap there is a danger that part of that just might show on the front. It is an intended effect of the imagewrap that part of the image is wrapped!

Have a look at this post to see if that explanation helps at all…. no guarantees though it is difficult to get across without an imagewrap book in your hands.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 27, 2009 6:05am PDT
tfrankland

I need to have all of my photo on the cover (back cover actually), so I’m thinking of leaving a gap of 1/2 inch at the bottom so that my actual photo doesn’t wrap over.   But I’m wondering if it is that precise, as I really do not want blank area showing at the bottom on the cover.  I think Support is saying 3/8 inch because 1/4 inch is cut off right away leaving 3/8 to wrap around.   I really would prefer the entire photo to wrap around, but my problem is that I have a little’s girl’s foot right at the bottom of the photo and I think it would look awful to have that wrapped around.  There’s no way I can fix the photo as I just took it too close to her foot.  So maybe I’ll leave a gap of 3/8 just in case 1/2 inch is cutting it too close.  I wish Blurb would have it set up on the layout for an imagewrap cover so that one can tell exactly where the wrap will start.

Posted by
camack
Oct 27, 2009 6:41am PDT
camack