Book Design and Imaging

Overwhelming Gamut Warning-Is it worth it?

Hey everyone, this is my first post in the blurb forums. I’m working on my first book and I’ve just gone through the excrutiating process of getting the right profile for the Blurb printer on every one of my photos. So, after a day or two, my book is nearly finished, but I noticed that when I previewed a few of my fairly green-filled photos, the vibrant greens are now very dull and I’m having trouble processing them back to life. If anyone has photoshop experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I’ve been working mainly in Lightroom, which doesn’t have a toggle profile for specific printers, so I’m stuck.

The Gamut Warning projects that more than two-thirds of the photo will not be accurately matched. I’m wondering if any of you have had success in reproducing your once vibrant greens (or any other color that sets off the gamut warning.)

Here’s the picture with all the greens:

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
morgangray
May 25, 2008 6:07pm PDT
morgangray

...Well, sweet!

I guess I’ll just have to see how it turns out.

Posted by
morgangray
May 26, 2008 8:54pm PDT
morgangray

I was hoping you’d get a response as well! My next book is, probably, going to be photographs from the rainforest in Queensland and there’ll be a lot of green.

I had some out of gamut warnings when I softproofed my Galapagos photos for my current book, it was in the greens every time. But I was able to reduce the  vividness of the greens a bit without adversely affecting the quality of the photos which were mainly of  desert and scrub. The proof book I got back a couple of weeks ago looked fine.

But your photo is something else again (I love it by the way), any tampering with the greens would be likely to reduce its dramatic impact.

If it is not too much trouble I’d appreciate some feedback when you eventually get your book published.

Hope we can help you somewhat better with your next question.

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 26, 2008 10:52pm PDT
tfrankland

Another thought…....I know it may seem a little cheeky but see if you can get in touch with Sam Edge. He is the guy that obtained the HP Indigo ICC Profile and has guided us on how to do softproofing. He is really into photographing BOnsai and may well have advice on "greens" and Blurb books. If you haven’t looked at his advice yet his web site is here, but there doesn’t appear to be any contact info.

But I just did a google search for "sam edge" bonsai and it came up with loads of references, one of those might have contact details (one has his address I noticed).

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 27, 2008 1:10am PDT
tfrankland

Spotted it, just as I went to close the Google window!

[Email address removed by moderators]

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 27, 2008 1:16am PDT
tfrankland

Might not be a good idea leaving this email address up for long, those address harvesters will be onto it….

Posted by
robkingston
May 27, 2008 4:49am PDT
robkingston

You are right! I forgot to break it up. I’ll contact Tech Support and get them to edit the post.

Thanks for that.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 27, 2008 5:13am PDT
tfrankland

Email address edited out.

Thanks!

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
May 27, 2008 11:53am PDT
kathybad

Thanks Tony, I’ll post some feedback once I get it, which will be soon. I just decided to order a single test copy without any tampering of the greens. After the first couple it might become apparent what’s best for the photo.

Posted by
morgangray
Jun 9, 2008 6:48am PDT
morgangray

so how did it turn out? i’m currently wondering the same thing.

Posted by
kellyhale
Nov 8, 2008 7:44pm PDT
kellyhale