Book Design and Imaging

Locked How to revise a book without doing "new" book?

Is there a better way to revise a book (e.g., to fix a typo) than having to treat it as a new book?

Using Booksmart, I loaded the existing book and made the change, then uploaded the revised file to blurb (with exactly the same title of course). It got treated as a new book such that I then had two books in my bookstore, the revised one and the now-obsolete one. So then I marked the obsolete one “private” so no one would stumble across it and order it. I then remembered that I had sent email out regarding my book with a link to my book at blurb, and now that link pointed to the obsolete version. To address that, I changed the title of the obsolete book to include “obsolete, see new version” to warn that potential buyer. Not a great title anymore, but I wanted to steer book buyers to the correct version. And of course I also needed to update my website “badge” code to point to the new book.

All this is an outcome of not being able to revise a book. Did I miss something, is there a way to replace an existing book file at blurb with a new one such that all links remain correct and such that I don’t have to have an obsolete book in my bookstore?

Posted by
poesyartist
May 31, 2008 8:01am PDT
poesyartist

Good grief… we need to be able to edit or change posts here…sorry for the two that posted above (don’t even know what caused it).

Hate to answer your question with a question, but HOW DID YOU make your changes. I can’t make any changes to a blub book once published… when I launch booksmart, the import from computer option is grayed out????

Thanks,

tom

Posted by
tomoc
May 31, 2008 4:31pm PDT
tomoc

No problem, Tom. I jumped in and deleted your two incomplete posts for you.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
May 31, 2008 5:21pm PDT
kathybad

Tom, I can change the book file using Booksmart, but I don’t know how to upload it as a revision to the previously uploaded files, as opposed to uploading it as a new book. I must be missing something. Uploading as a new book means I need to keep the old version indefinitely to redirect buyers to the new version. Clearly, there must be a way of replacing a previously uploaded file with a new one, I am just looking for someone to explain how to do that.

Posted by
poesyartist
May 31, 2008 7:20pm PDT
poesyartist

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I came across your post and was disappointed not to find an answer. Sadly, it may be that we can’t fix it.

Posted by
a.penny
Jun 27, 2008 9:57pm PDT
a.penny

I believe I’ve read in previous posts that you cannot replace files on the Blurb server.  If you have changes to your book, it needs to be uploaded as a new book.

Regina 

Posted by
rbgool
Jun 28, 2008 4:27am PDT
rbgool

It is my belief that Blub uses a date/time stamp mechanism (based on the upload date/time) to identify books. So it cannot distinguish the original from the revision; making you print the new version or have it deleted.

To me that is a problem, not with the requirement to print the new version but because and comments and purchase history are then LOST.

They offer a great product but it is a real shame that they cannot seem to get it that this is a problem for us and fix it.

Come on BLURB, get on the ball here.

-Luigi

Posted by
ttluigi
Nov 14, 2009 9:13pm PDT
ttluigi

I too find it a pain that you have to "replace" the book and do things like mark the older one "obsolete" but right now that is the limitation with blurb.

Posted by
friend1979
Nov 16, 2009 2:58pm PDT
friend1979

It looks like a big issue in this topic. I would agree that we are the customer and there should be a service (without a fee) to make corrections without uploading a new book and charging us again for the same book. How about it Blurb…what can be done here?

Posted by
Perception8
Nov 24, 2009 6:45pm PDT
Perception8

that’s an interesting one.

I think the best practice is not to link to a specific book, but rather to link to your bookstore. You can then just delete the older version instead of making it private. Updating a link on a website is a non-issue but you if you have emailed the link to dozens of people that’s where linking to the bookstore makes sense.

Or if you do have your own website, use that page as your email and  advertising link and then just update the page if the book link changes..

Posted by
D2O
Nov 26, 2009 8:15am PDT
D2O

This seems an amazingly clunky process, that an updated version cannot replace a current one. I just ordered a copy of my first 160 page 12" book and already I have found a few minor errors. I have corrected these and uploaded a new version, expecting to be able to swap it, but no- it expects me to order a £67 copy any time I make a change!! And as has been pointed out, any comments and history gets lost when you delete the old edition.

The changes are not so major that I cannot live with them myself (a couple of typos) but if it is to be available for others to buy there has to be a way to offer them a corrected version at no extra cost. It’s just a file and a databsse entry after all.

Come on guys, it’s not rocket science to be able to replace one version in the database with another!

Posted by
tomgardner
Nov 27, 2009 2:32am PDT
tomgardner

tom:

I update my book in progress once a day for testing/viewing purposes (i prefer it to preview). If I had to order a new version each time I would be out in the street. what are you talking about? Uploading and purchasing a book are two different things.

Posted by
ventdevie
Nov 27, 2009 6:13am PDT
ventdevie

ventdevie:

You are doing something different to what I described. You are uploading a book and reviewing the private copy, which will only exist for 15 days unless you order it. You spot an error, make a change, upload the new version and delete the old one. Fine for a small book or with few photos, but mine takes several hours to upload 350MB each time! I have never found any difference between the Booksmart preview and the online one- the upload always seems to be a faithful copy.

I think I made myself quite clear in the context of this thread- once my book has been ordered it cannot be replaced with a new updated version- every upload is treated as an independent book. My new updated version cannot become permanent in the bookstore until it has been ordered once within 15 days, just like the original one. Obviously I do not want to have to do this on a large and expensive book every time I or someone else finds an error. Surely one of the great benefits of print on demand services like Blurb is that errors can be quickly fixed at no cost, but this system makes it impossible.

I would like to see an option for ‘Update this book’ which would then give you an option to select an already-uploaded private book (ie the updated version), and a space to insert a small comment about the revision reason. The revision history would then appear below the book in the bookstore. It would keep all the order history and comments of the original.

At the backend, the updated book ID would stay the same, but the actual stored book file(s) would be replaced on the storage servers.The only changes in the sysem database would be the addition of an ‘Update History’ field that would add a record with a timestamp and the optional author’s comment. Optionally, the order history would also indicate the version that was bought if it had been replaced at some point.

Posted by
tomgardner
Nov 27, 2009 7:33am PDT
tomgardner

I put this to customer services and got this response from Dee:
<pre>"This is a great idea. I will pass it around Blurb HQ and see how we might be able to act on your suggestion."
</pre><pre>Hopefully they will act on it in the not too distant future.

</pre>

Posted by
tomgardner
Nov 27, 2009 10:16am PDT
tomgardner

got it. yes, that makes sense. i hope they change their policy.

Posted by
ventdevie
Nov 27, 2009 11:58am PDT
ventdevie

Three years have passed….
How to revise a book without doing "new" book?
Posted by
rybczynska
Feb 9, 2013 6:46pm PDT
rybczynska

My question exactly. Once uploaded I discovered errors – not many but some. More annoying than anything else. There SHOULD be an opportunity to "edit" in Blurb. I guess I could cancel the order and go back to Lightroom and fix my mistakes but would I still have to pay for two books? I also am wondering how Blurb deals with file size. I scanned many photos into my book and changed the enormous file size in Photoshop. Can I send any file size to Blurb and have their technicians adjust the photo for my book? Thanks

Posted by
alandadler
Feb 11, 2013 8:12am PDT
alandadler

I’m not sure what the problem is. You can open the original file and make your changes, then just upload the new version. replacing the original book. Just remove the original from your sales page.

Posted by
Brendanh
Mar 15, 2013 6:35am PDT
Brendanh

Useful stuff, thanks guys!

Posted by
Beatybabe
May 2, 2013 2:09am PDT
Beatybabe