Book Design and Imaging

picrure that extends from back cover to spine and to front cover?

I want to do a book with a picture that extends from back cover to spine and to front cover?

how do i do it?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
coreyschimme
Jun 8, 2008 11:45am PDT
coreyschimme

You can’t, have a look at this previous thread from a couple of days ago..

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/3020

...........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 8, 2008 12:11pm PDT
tfrankland

reallly , i thought that is what the new hardcover imagewrap was all about?

Posted by
coreyschimme
Jun 8, 2008 9:24pm PDT
coreyschimme

so are these image wrap photos not fro onw image?

it looks like they over lap on to the spine?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theblurberati/2492823627/in/set-72157605063355489/

Posted by
coreyschimme
Jun 8, 2008 9:33pm PDT
coreyschimme

If you look carefully at that photo you will see the photograph of the lady is chopped off at the spine. The spine is printed with the same background colour you have chosen for the rest of the cover plus the title, etc.

The image wrap is an alternative to a hardcover with a dustjacket. If you order that the actual hardback is a plain linen finish with no images or printing anywhere on the book. All the cover detail is on the dust jacket.

The image wrap results in the image of the dust jacket, minus the front and back flaps, being "printed" directly on to the harback cover of the book and you do not get a dust jacket. In fact the image is printed on to some type of plastic and that is then sealed onto the book cover.

It has a matte finish rather than a glossy finish like the dust jacket.

So the image wrap is all about wrapping the image of the cover rather than allowing you to wrap one of your images around the book.

In preparing the book you do the cover just as you would one for a hardback, using one of the many BookSmart cover templates, but remember that any information on the front and back flaps will be lost. You then choose between hardback and imagewrap at the time of ordering.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 9, 2008 12:58am PDT
tfrankland

wow Tony, your description of the wrap around is the most simple of any I’ve read so far. However, I want to place a photo on the front and back cover of the book, but the original hard cover option does not allow a photo to be placed in the template for the front and back cover. Color and text only. Please help!

Can I print a photo on the back cover too in the wrap around or is it cover only? 

Also, is the spine printed separate so when I choose the wrap around  option the text in the spine will be  printed, or will it be left out with the flaps?

Sorry for all the questions but it has been challenging figuring this out. The tech support and the Q & A seem unclear and I am a pro photographer and designer. I think they need a new update or more simple instructions for this new cover option.

Thanks,

Jessica 

Posted by
jrabbit903
Jun 11, 2008 11:11pm PDT
jrabbit903

Hi Jessica!

My current book has a photo filling the fromt cover with the title printed over the photo and a map on the back cover, so you can do what you are after.

I’m not sure quite how much you know about BookSmart yet, so I’ll assume nothing. So if I keep telling you things you already know how to do sorry.

In the line of thumbnail pages along the bottom of the Blurb window click on the front cover to select and activate it.

At the top left of the window you will see a banner saying Apply Page Layout. Between that and the banner below which says My Imported Photos you will see a grey stripe with three blue dots in the middle. Click on that, hold the mouse button down and drag downwards. That will reveal a whole load of alternative cover templates. The 13" x 11" has 19 different ones (there is a scroll bar on the right of this list).

So on a particular cover template wherever you see a grey box you can put a photograph or image. So a single one filling (say) the front cover is possible or a block of smaller ones. In some cases the gray box and the text box are separate on the page in others the text box is shown on top of the grey box, that will allow you to superimpose your title or other text on top of the photo. (What I did for the front cover was have a photo of a land iguana totally filling the cover with the title of the book and my name printed on top of that). If you choose not to enter any text the outline of the text box that you see in Edit Book mode will not be printed when you come to publish. If you choose not to put a photo or image into one of the grey boxes when you come to print the grey will not be there it will be replaced by the background colour you have chosen.

So all you need to do is click the cover template that takes your fancy. Once that is done you can drag and drop your photos onto the new-style cover it and pop in your text.

If you haven’t spotted it yet the Preview Book button at the bottom right of the window will show you what the book will look like in print, you then click the Edit Book button to carry on making changes.

You can change your mind over the cover template as many times as you like. When you change it the title, etc are preserved, but you may need a little work or a repeat type of any extra text you added. And you may need to re-add a photo or use the BookSmart controls to resize it to the new template.

Now for the spine. This will have the background colour you have chosen with the title and author printed on top of that. This will look the same whether you choose a hardback with dustjacket or an ImageWrap. It is only the flaps that are ommitted when you do an ImageWrap.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 12, 2008 12:33am PDT
tfrankland