Book Design and Imaging

How to get accurate image color & detail with the finished Book?

My biggest concern about publishing my Photography Book,  is the color as I see it on my monitor and how it will actually come out when printed.  I have downloaded the HP Indigo Press 5000 semi matte, so I can soft proof in CS3. If this is accurate, all my pictures seem to have washed out colors and less details. I am afraid to correct it, and actually not sure how to get the look I want.  To correct 200 pictures would be a huge set-back for my book and I’m not convinced that this is how the photos will actually look when printed. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I should just let it ride and hope for the best. I suppose I can change all the images after I get my first copy of the book.

Thanks in Advance Everyone…

Lowell

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
lowellcottle
Jun 12, 2008 2:23pm PDT
lowellcottle

Hi Lowell,

If you have some doubt about softproofing result in your image, perhaps that you want to do the first twenty (20) pages of test proof book with some images you are concerned about.

Also, be sure that you always do a duplication of all your photos before you proceed any image editing on any images.

As for trying to get accurate color balance in all of your images, that is to say it is “almost” truly impossible to get this that close to perfect image. I would say close to 80 to 85 percent of soft proof process with HP Indigo Press ICC profile assigned. The idea of soft proof is to give you a better idea on how each image should look like in a printed book. If you didn’t like what you see or seem to think certain image, soft proof give you the luxury of having the opportunity to make all necessary adjustment – until you like what you see. For 200 images with soft proof process seems to be lot of work, but that is what it is intended. If you want a near-perfect photography book, soft proof with some roundtrip between softproof and image editing/adjustments will be worth the effort, time and money.

The idea of test proof book give you a better idea how the first twenty pages of your images. It is better that way than not knowing what to expect. I don’t know how many pages do you plan to work on your photography book. However, I recommend that you consider test proof book with first twenty pages of your images in question. If you find some photos that need some work, you can always make some changes after what you see in that proof book.

Hope that helps. Enjoy the beautiful weather!
Cheers, Brian
[A passionate Blurbarian]

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 12, 2008 3:25pm PDT
brianbonitz

Thanks Brian!

I think that is a really great idea, printing out the first 20 or so pages. I suppose that is the only way to see the final product. I do appreciate your time and help.

Cheers

Lowell 

Posted by
lowellcottle
Jun 12, 2008 3:59pm PDT
lowellcottle

Lowell,

Glad that I can be assistance for you. You might want to take most difficult images you work with, apply some of most challenging images in your proof book and see what happens next. That way, it should help.

Cheers, Brian
[A passionate Blurbarian]

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 12, 2008 4:39pm PDT
brianbonitz

Lowell,

there is some disagreement in th forums about some of the softproofing settings in Adobe Photoshop.

I found that I got the washed out colours you mention when I had Simulate Black Ink and Simulate Paper Colour checked. When I unchecked those I had a much more realistic image. Others have found the same thing, but there are a couple of people who think differently. You will find those debates in the forums if you have the time to search.

I was extremely happy with the way my photographs came out; given the different technologies they were as close to the image I saw on my display as I could expect.

With the soft proofing I currently have underway I am leaving those unchecked.

I also check for out-of-gamut with CS, I found that there was a problem there with very vivid greens.

Then just a quick question, have you calibrated your monitor?

Let us know how you get on with your test book.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 14, 2008 12:41am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the tip…I do have LOTs of greens! I’ll give it a try. I did un-check the Sim black ink, and it did make a difference. Not sure how to calibrate my monitor, however…

Thanks again Tony,

Lowell 

Posted by
lowellcottle
Jun 19, 2008 9:36am PDT
lowellcottle

Hi Lowell!

You’ll find a bit on calibration options in these two posts…

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/5/topics/2958

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/2/topics/2462

Plus a couple of free options if you don’t want to invest in calibration hardware….

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/viewing.html 

http://www.users.on.net/~julian.robinson/photography/adjust-monitor.htm 

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 19, 2008 9:56am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Lowell,

<pre><code>As a photographer I am very picky with the colour reproduction and I have printed four books at Blurb, except for the quality issues of their Imagewrap cover, I think their colour reproduction is excellent considering the fact that we are using small jpeg files which are compressed.</code></pre>

Having said that I import my photographs into Photoshop and I start by SOFTPROOFING the image using Custom Profile of the HP INDIGO printer. In other words I work backwards, from Softproofing to Finished Image. The images will turn dull and lifeless. after the softproofing then tweak them in PS to achieve the correct colour balance, contrast etc and the results are exactly what I expected.

Posted by
Sudhakaran
Aug 2, 2008 7:51pm PDT
Sudhakaran

Where can I get the indigo500 PPD file? Can you email it to me? Post it somewhere? I can’t find it with my other ppds (I guess it’s not installed with indesign or photoshop CS3) and I can’t find it at HP’s site. Thanks!

Posted by
moonkscream
Jan 14, 2009 9:55am PDT
moonkscream

To download a PDF (instructions on how to set it up) and ICC profile file, here:

Bonsai Photography website:
http://www.bonsai-photography.com

Once you are on that site, be sure to read the instruction on its entirety.

As for further help or assistance, there are fairly many good discussion related to Color Management, ICC profile, and similar related topics only IF/When you conduct search query on these search query keyphrases I mentioned above.

Hopefully that helps.
Brian {a passionate Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 14, 2009 10:58am PDT
brianbonitz