Book Design and Imaging

Photography Book NOW - competition question!

Hi all,
I’m wondering – do the books have to be all photography? Or can they be a combination of photography/writing?

I designed a book that includes stories and photography. There is a story with each set of photos. Each story is about 1,000 words or so – pretty short – and there are 10 so far. I’m hoping to add a few more stories and photo sets before the competition.

Has anyone entered their book in the competition yet? I’m excited about entering. The book was my senior project for Design school and I’m really proud of how it turned out. :)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
leahlady
Jun 14, 2008 6:41pm PDT
leahlady

Ok, more questions. All of the photographs are taken by me, except my cover photo which I already have permission to use. Some of the text was written by me, but the majority of it is written by the people who the pictures are of.

To be more specific, the book is a compilation of stories/pictures of rescued horses and their owners. I wrote the introduction and compiled a few stories, but the rest of the stories were written by the horse owners, and edited by me. I can get permission from everybody if needed.

I’m a bit confused about whether or not I can enter this book! Please help!

Posted by
leahlady
Jun 14, 2008 6:53pm PDT
leahlady

Anyone?

Posted by
leahlady
Jun 16, 2008 6:12pm PDT
leahlady

Here is the FAQ link of Photography.Book.Now -
http://www.photographybooknow.com/faq.html

And…

The other link, that might be of a bit helpful info on what kind of book “theme”, have a look – if you look at book category for details…
http://www.photographybooknow.com/entry_form.html

Hope that helps and good luck.

Have some fun!
Brian
[A passionate Blurbarian]

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 16, 2008 6:35pm PDT
brianbonitz

Well I read all that and was still confused. I was hoping a staff member would see this. Maybe I need to contact support?

Posted by
leahlady
Jun 16, 2008 9:11pm PDT
leahlady

Leah,

Actually, if you read the first link, FAQ at Photography.Book.Now – and if you read all the way to the “bottom” of FAQ, there is a contact information (an email addy) to contact somebody specifically addressed to Photography.Book.Now topics.

Once again, I truly hope that helps this time.

Brian
[A passionate Blurbarian]

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 17, 2008 2:44am PDT
brianbonitz

thank you!!!

Posted by
leahlady
Jun 17, 2008 8:37am PDT
leahlady

You are welcome.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 17, 2008 12:12pm PDT
brianbonitz

I don’t think you can. Although you would have permission as far as copyrights, it says that you can’t do collaborations and I don’t think that the book would be enough your work, no matter how much effort you personally put into it. I edited cited quotes out of mine just to be on the safe side. Because it costs to enter, maybe you should check before doing it, but if you aren’t worried about the entry fee then you really have nothing to lose.

Good luck!

Posted by
a.penny
Jun 27, 2008 9:49pm PDT
a.penny

Well that was my reaction to reading the FAQ’s as well…but after contacting support I was told that as long as I have permission to use everything and claim “authorship”, then the book is eligible. I can even put the names of others who wrote the passages as long as they are not claimed as “co-authors”.

It didn’t make much sense to me, but I guess it is my project and they contributed?? Again, I am still confused about it, but that was the answer I got!!

Posted by
leahlady
Jun 27, 2008 11:10pm PDT
leahlady