Book Design and Imaging

Original photo and soft proofing differences

I hope that some here can shed some light on this for me.

I am making my first book and in the course of my reading I have downloaded the profile for the HP 5000 to Photoshop and have started soft proofing the photos using that color space.

I have put considerable time into getting the colors and look of the photos just as I like them and what I am noticing is that when I soft proof them the take on a bluish cast and a somewhat hazy look.  I would reason that this is due to the printers profile.

My question is how to get rid of the haze and dull look.  I can recorrect the colors, adjust the saturation, etc, but the photos do not have the punch under the soft proofing that they do without it .  I would love some help on this so that Ican continue to make thebook with the best photo quality I can.

I am using CS1, winxp, sRGB and the HP 5000 profile.

David

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Greenpen
Jul 23, 2008 11:29am PDT
Greenpen

Hello David;

The consensus of opinion seems to be that the "dullness" is introduced if you have "Simulate Black Ink" and "Simulate Paper Colour" checked…

The recommendation is to UN-check those options.

If you do a forum search on " Simulate Black Ink" you will uncover many threads about this topic…

If not done, I would also strongly recommend that you ensure that your monitor is correctly calibrated first and foremost. If you’re not looking at an accurate colour simulation on screen, then you will see differences in the printed book!

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 24, 2008 1:32am PDT
lkb-28

Lee,

Thanks you for the response.  I did some digging in the forum on the Ink/Color check boxes and I now better understand it.  I always calibrate my monitor so that is taken care of.  Now if I can just get the book done…..........

David

Posted by
Greenpen
Jul 24, 2008 5:07pm PDT
Greenpen