Book Design and Imaging

Desiging page layouts in Photoshop

If this is addressed somewhere please let me know. I’ve been reading all the specs and tips entries but have not specifically seen everything I need to put my mind at ease.

I’m designing a 10×8 landscape, b&w photo book using simple, white pages with no bleeds. Would like to place 1-5 photos per page, plan to lay it out in Photoshop. Photos are now .tif’s but will save final pages as 10×8 jpeg’s at 300dpi.

Got all that, but wonder if I can use full 10×8” pages for layout or do I need to figure for bleeds anyway using the “For Standard Landscape 10×8 pages: 9.6 inches wide by 8.24 inches high” specs? I’ll be bleeding white so don’t figure I need to use these margin settings. Am I cool or no?

Also appreciate the detail contained in the “How to import your custom design into BookSmart” post, but if I’m creating full page layouts in Photoshop and saving the full pages as hi-rez jpeg’s, i get to skip all that “high res PDF (pdf/x-1a2001)” stuff right?

Sounds like if I save my PSD pages as 001, 002, 003 etc., I’ll be able to take advantage of Autoflow too, right?

Hopin’ for 3x “Yeses.” Have I got it?
Cheers,
Rygel56

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Rygel56
Jul 28, 2008 4:17pm PDT
Rygel56

No!      Yes! (but see comment below).      Yes!

The pages are not 10" x 8" that is just a nominal size as Blurb saying they do  9.6" x 8.24" books looks messy. So follow the FAQ guides for page size.

If your pages only contain photos JPEG is fine, but if there is much text on the pages you created (e.g. captions) in Photoshop you will get a better result if you export to .PNG. Especially if you use a small font size or a font with serifs. If you do a forum search you will find a number of threads on this topic.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 29, 2008 5:18am PDT
tfrankland

You know – I have tried both .jpg and .png for text – I re-uploaded my book as .png and re-ordered it. Honestly, they are both mediocre!! The .PNG text is also pixelated, although not quite as bad as the .JPG. The problem is that the print resolution for text needs to be 600 dpi, but Booksmart only supports 300 dpi (which is the resolution for image printing).

Blurb, you need to accept .pdf files! It is ridiculous to have to save out as .PNG files or to force a designer to create a template based book in Booksmart. I don’t need templates, I am a professional graphic designer. I love the service and idea of Blurb, but Blurb does not [yet] accommodate the needs of design professionals.

Posted by
leahlady
Jul 29, 2008 1:20pm PDT
leahlady

I have to disagree Leah.

At font sizes greater than 11pt it took a jewellers loupe for me to be able to tell the difference. You must have (rude word omitted) good eyesight :-)

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 29, 2008 2:40pm PDT
tfrankland

Sorry, I meant to say exporting as .png. With JPEG there were more noticeable jaggies.

....Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 29, 2008 3:03pm PDT
tfrankland