Book Design and Imaging

Price to high for 120 page

Hi, just received my book of 80 pages and its great, just now though i want to do another on my state, and i have heaps of photos and writing, the price for 80 – 120 page is a bit steep aint it? if i order this book with 120 pages how am i expect to sell it to make a profit, who buys books around 95 dollars?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
wiz66
Aug 2, 2008 12:22am PDT
wiz66

HI I’m new here and I’m working on my first book. I’ll throw in my $.02 anyhow. The only way you could sell a large book would be to order them in a large quantity to cut down the cost. I’m not sure If I’ll even sell more than 4~10 copies of mine so I’m not so worried about it.

good luck.

Posted by
Zeli
Aug 2, 2008 2:36am PDT
Zeli

This topic has been discussed on the forum a gazillion times…

There’s no way you can compare a one-time "Print on Demand" book price with a mass production run… The only direct comparison is with other PoD vendors, and, on this front, I’m reasonabl;y confident that Blurb is still very competetive – although admittedly, it’s some while since I last did a comparison…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 2, 2008 10:42am PDT
lkb-28

Yet again I have to agree with Lee :-)

A few months back I did a comparison of publishers offerings and prices. I thought my Blurb book was going to be about 120 pages (just popped the last page in this afternoon, it’s actually 143).

I wanted to make sure I had chosen the right publisher as the last comparison I did was before Xmas.

So I looked at the largest  hard back books a number of publishers did, Blurb was the only one who did a 13" x 11" . Most of the publishers offered a price for a set number of pages (usually 20) then charged a set amount per additional page, so a little different to Blurb’s approach.

I did the pricing in £, I have just converted those to $ at the rate of £1 = $2

All prices are for a 120 page hard back book

AlbumFactory            12" x 12"         $198

Lulu                               9" x 7"            $96

MyPublisher              15" x 11"         $133

BobBooks                  10" x 8"          $140

Blurb                           13" x 11"       $76.95 (with its recent price hike)

I’d be very surprised if those other publishers had reduced their prices in recent months.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 2, 2008 11:38am PDT
tfrankland

Commercial publishers will print your book and the price will be less. BUT you will be looking at a minimum of probably 1,000 copies. I just did 24 copies of a 200-page book for about $1200. A printer I know was going to charge me about $10,000. I would have had more books, lots more, but I can afford the $1200, not the $10,000. It is just as easy to print 1,000 books as it is one. Small quantities will cost more per book. That’s just the way it is.

Posted by
stanmckinney
Aug 7, 2008 6:31am PDT
stanmckinney

ok Tony if you was to sell this book to someone, what price would you sell it to them.

Posted by
wiz66
Aug 10, 2008 1:35am PDT
wiz66

I know the price is better than anyone else at the moment, but if you sell books what would you sell your 120 page or 143 page book for?

Posted by
wiz66
Aug 10, 2008 1:37am PDT
wiz66

I personally don’t think that there is a market with the general public for a book at $90 (assuming a $10 mark up). So I do not expect my book to sell beyond a small group of friends and family.

I am working on an edited version of the book to try and bring the price down to what I think is saleable, but I’m not yet sure I can do that.

At that price you are looking at a niche market and you would need to market it appropriately, just putting it in the Blurb bookstore, (or your local book store) would not generate many sales.

So, for instance, a really good photobook about a rock band could have a market at that price, but you’d need to find those fans to offer it to them. If there was a fan club for instance a mail shot to them might generate sales.

A book about school sports day could be marketed to the parents, people will pay a fair bit for books with their kids in.

I think if you are serious about selling your books (which I’m not) the starting point is identifying your market before you even start on the book. Understand the needs of that market, do a sit of research on what other books might be available on your particular topic, how much do they cost, what demographic are they in and disposable income might they have hence what could they afford, what is the one thing that would make them want to buy your book over any others? Why will it be different?  Then design your book to meet that market niche at a price you think they will pay. That will dictate how many pages should be in the book if you are using a print-on-demand service like Blurbs.

If you have a local independant book store a chat with the owner about pricing and mark-ups would pay off.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 10, 2008 2:08am PDT
tfrankland