Book Design and Imaging

Cannot expand picture 'window' when using 'Photo 4 Portrait'

I am creating a 10×13 hardcover ‘Coffee Table size’ book.  I want to add 4 pictures to a single page, so I do….  But I cannot change the size of the pictures on the page.  So either I have 4 cropped photos that are to small, or I have 4 centered photos that no one can see what it really is because they are too small

Can I the size of each ‘opening’ for the pictures?  I want to enlarge each picture ‘window.’  I don’t always need 3 or 3" margins around all my pictures…  I tried enlarging each opening, but they seem to be locked at 2×3” inches if your use 4 pictures on one page

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
CourtR
Aug 12, 2008 7:02pm PDT
CourtR

It is not possible to adjust the size of the "openings" for photographs in the current version of BookSmart. Quite a few of us hope that that will be an option in future versions, but no news on that from Blurb so far.

You can resize your photos in BookSmart to better fit those fixed frames. If you click on one of the photos you will see a zoom slider at the top of the window, you can also use the arrow keys to move the photo around in the "opening" in tiny increments.

If the photo does not fully fill the frame that will not be a problem when you come to print, the background will show where in Edit mode you have the grey. Just click on the Preview Book button at the bottom right of the window to see how the page will look in print.

Your only other option would be to design and create the pages outside of BookSmart in an application such as Photoshop or Paint Shop PRO and then import them into BookSmart as a JPEG (or a PNG). but this is a lot more effort. If you wanted to try that there is a FAQ that tells you how to go about it.

http://blurb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/blurb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=161

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 13, 2008 1:42am PDT
tfrankland

Hello CourtR;

There are plenty of alternate options in the templates drop-down list to satisfy what you want to do…

The container sizes on the individual templates are fixed; you can’t alter those, but you can select other template design options and manipulate your images accordingly…

Just check-out the full template list in the BookSmart Edit Workspace, under "Apply Page Layout" select "Picture Layouts" and then scroll down the list…

When you have a template that suits your purporse, you can drag your images in, and then use the Zoom tool to re-size the image to fit whatever "gap" you want…

Cheers;

Lee 

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 13, 2008 1:45am PDT
lkb-28

In a case like this I design my pages in Photoshop and import them into booksmart as a full bleed page.

Posted by
rbryan22
Sep 2, 2008 12:43pm PDT
rbryan22

hey, thanks for this post. i wanted more page layout options and then read this.
much thanks.

liam

Posted by
applehead
Sep 7, 2008 8:13pm PDT
applehead