Book Design and Imaging

Book Series / Anthology....

I’m in the process of creating a photobook (or perhaps multiple) right now that is, obviously, aviation themed.  The problem is, it’s getting really high in the page count.  (145 right now and there is no end in sight!)  A number of local aviation busniess have shown interest in the book that I have public right now, which was originally created only as a sample to see how well the printers were with my photographs.  Needless to say I was extremely pleased, and so was everyone I showed it to!  They wanted them NOW!  But as this was early spring of this year, I had a number of aviation events to attend that could double my the number of pictures I wanted to include. 

Anyway, what I’m thinking is to create several smaller books.  Perhaps 60 pages each, for different catagories.  For example I’d have one book dedicated to military aircraft, another to airliners, and yet another to general aviation (privately owned and operated aircraft).  Then combine them when I’m all done into one large book that includes everything from the smaller ones.  Each book would then become its own chapter.  One reason I thought this would work was I could advertise each individual book to fit whatever business is interested in selling them for me.  For example, put the book with all of the privately owned, every day aircraft in the office of a family run flight school.  Then one with aerobatics and airshow photos in an flight school that hosts monthly meetings of local aerobatic and airshow pilots.

Have any of you done anything like this?  And do you think I am just shooting myself in the foot as far as workload is concerned?

Thanks for your input and advice!

Jason

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Fight2Fly
Aug 13, 2008 11:35pm PDT
Fight2Fly

Hi Jason;

1. 145 pages is still a long way off BookSmart’s max… I recently completed a 310 pager, and BookSmart can go to a maximum of 440 pages… [although I suspect it might be struggling at max if the images are very high quality, like large converted RAWs..]

2. You will NOT be able to create a series of smaller books, and then combine them… There is no means in BookSmart to import pages from book into another…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 14, 2008 1:25am PDT
lkb-28

Thank you, Lee!

I’m not really worried about the maximum number of pages.  I’m more worried about turning customers away by offering a $70 book.  Personally, I would never pay that much for a book.  And I know very few people would.  That’s why I’m targeting the smaller, 120-160 page range.

As for not being able to import pages from book to book…. humm… that certainly is a problem, isn’t it?  Perhaps that will be in a future release of BookSmart.  (not counting on it.)  Before I get to that point I’ll have to finish up at least three other books. 

*Brainstorm begins* 

If push comes to shove I’ll just write the finale first, then produce the individual parts afterward by deleting sections and "save copy as" as I go along.  Which, actually, now that I think about it, may not be a bad idea afterall. 

If that doesn’t work for some reason, I could still produce the final compilation first.  That way I could use my proof copy to sort of advertise the other sections when I go around from business to business, allowing them to pick and choose.

*brainstorm over*

Thanks again, Lee!

Posted by
Fight2Fly
Aug 14, 2008 2:32am PDT
Fight2Fly

Your idea of doing the compilation first will work fine. I did something similar to produce family yearbooks for the two sides of my husbands family. I made an 80 page book for one side, did a “save as”, then added the next 80 pages for the other side (the 160 book was for the immediate family), did a save as, then deleted 80 pages from the last version.
It worked like a charm and allowed me to play with some of the “overlapping” pages since it was all there.
Amelia

Posted by
CasaDeWoof
Aug 14, 2008 7:37am PDT
CasaDeWoof

Hi Jason,

Another way to approach the series would be to do the total book first, then do a save as, delete the unwanted pages not required in series one and rename it. Then repeat that process again and again from the total book.

Jack

Posted by
Jackc
Aug 14, 2008 8:09am PDT
Jackc

Thank you, Amelia and Jack, for the advice!  I think I’ll do just that. 

Desaster avoided!

:)

Posted by
Fight2Fly
Aug 14, 2008 5:07pm PDT
Fight2Fly