Book Design and Imaging

50th Anniversary Book Design Ideas Needed

I have not made a photo book before so I am starting from the beginning of the learning curve.  Has anyone made a 50th Anniversary book before that can share ideas on layout design, color scheme, journaling suggestions, etc.

Do you have a favorite layout idea that you would like to share?  My parents anniversary is in November and I would like to make something special. 

I know I will have to work with old negatives and photos to capture the events of long ago.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bama1017
Aug 26, 2008 8:35am PDT
bama1017

Hello bama1017;

I suggest you take a peek in the "BookStore" (see link above), and enter "Anniversary" in the search box…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 27, 2008 7:11am PDT
lkb-28

My parents had their 50th a few years back.  I made a DVD….one thing I might suggest off the top of my head is to do with the cover.  Have a picture of them (young) on the cover…and on the back….a CURRENT picture of them…

Beginning….End….

Posted by
iphlogger
Sep 26, 2008 9:58pm PDT
iphlogger

I did something similar a number of years ago – sadly in the era before blurb and similar.

One idea that really paid dividends was taking some of the older members of the family into my confidence.  They managed to come up with way more photos than I’d ever imagined might be available including (this was a birthday rather than an anniversary) old school reports, baptism cards etc

Posted by
aop27
Sep 27, 2008 5:35am PDT
aop27

While doing some research to make my parents’ 50th Anniversary special, I came across this poem by Leah Furness that really hit home for me. My parents aren’t the lovey-dovey types so anything really sappy about all their "love" over the years wouldn’t have been appropriate. They are simply hard-working, middle-class folks, who raised 5 successful children and have survived all the crisis that life has thrown at them. Some years were good, others not so much, but they stuck it out.

I only used the first part of the poem in my card to them, augmented by other thoughts of my own (I will include that text at the bottom). I had never seen my dad tear up while reading a card before so I guess I got the sentiment right! I think combining text with the photos in the book would make it very special indeed.

Here is the poem in full (could easily be adapted to personal situations for your parents): 

The Longly-Weds Know by Leah Furness

That it isn’t about the Golden Anniversary at all,
But about all the unremarkable years
that Hallmark doesn’t even make a card for.

It’s about the 2nd anniversary when they were surprised
to find they cared for each other more than last year.

And the 4th when both kids had chickenpox
and she threw her shoe at him for no real reason.

And the 6th when he accidentally got drunk on the way
home from work because being a husband and father
was so damn hard.

It’s about the 11th and 12th and 13th years when
they discovered they could survive crisis.

And the 22nd anniversary when they looked
at each other across the empty nest, and found it good.

It’s about the 37th year when she finally
decided she could never change him.

And the 38th when he decided
a little change wasn’t that bad.

It’s about the 46th anniversary when they both
bought cards, and forgot to give them to each other.

But most of all it’s about the end of the 49th year
when they discovered you don’t have to be old
to have your 50th anniversary!

And here is the text I used:

"A wise woman once wrote,

That it isn’t about the Golden Anniversary at all,
But about all the unremarkable years
that Hallmark doesn’t even make a card for.
~Leah Furness

50 years ago, you said ‘I do’ and meant it. Thank you for being my Mom and Dad and for showing me every day, how it’s done.

Congratulations on your 50th!"

I hope this helps even if just a little bit. 

Tracy

Posted by
milkayphoto
Sep 28, 2008 9:43am PDT
milkayphoto

Last year (afer working almost a year on it and still fine tuning) I put together a 50th book for my parents.  It was 200 pages, with 500 photos. The trickiest part is the organization.  Here’s How I did it:  I started out with one page of my dad with a recap of his birth, where he lived etc.  Then a facing page of my mom.  Both had similar info with pics of them younger.  Then the next page was facing pics of each parents (my grandparents) Then In chronologial order my dad—up until he met my mom—then my mom,. up until she met my dad.  Then Wedding photos, their life together up until us kids (4 of us) then a page on each kids folowed by sorta consecutive years of our family life.  I organized sug groups LIke: travel; friends; funny costumes; grandkids—then ended with a 50th family portrait of us and added words of advice from our parents to us.  (This was done after their anniversary)—Good luck!!!  PS  I also "personalized" one book each to give to each of my brothers and sister. 

Posted by
videovik
Oct 7, 2008 4:38pm PDT
videovik