Book Design and Imaging

Dust Jackets and Spines - Am I Being A Bonehead?

Hi – I hope this is just a simple question:

I am setting up InDesign (CS3) to create a book and have templates based on the measurements given and am slightly confused. I want to create a Standard Landscape book with a dust jacket, however, I am wondering if the measurements given are for the soft cover books with no dust jacket (and no inside flaps). I am also wondering the dimensions of the little spine strip. So I guess my two questions are:

1. Are the measurements just for soft cover, flapless books or will they also suffice for dust jackets? If the latter, what are the flap dimensions?

2. How do I set up the spine? I suspect the size will vary, depending on the number of pages in the book. I would like to put the title of the book on the spine in the same font I use on the cover (which is not included in Booksmart and will have to be imported as a raster image).

The answer could very well be obvious, but I can’t seem to find it. Any help you have to offer is muchly appreciated. Thank you!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
libbyann721
Aug 27, 2008 1:44pm PDT
libbyann721

I can answer some of your quesrions, I don’t think they are obvious though.

You cannot set up the spine! The assorted templates for the covers do not include an option for you to either import an image for the spine or include any photographs/images on the spine.

This used to be available but was withdrawn when there were so many queries and complaints. The width of the spine depends on how many pages you have in your book, hence providing dimensions, and facilities for importing an image are jist too complex.

The spine will adopt the background//background colour you have chosen with your title, author, etc superimposed on that.

The cover measurements are for a hardback and softback book. If you request to publish a softback book the text/photographs you may have put on the dustflaps will just be ignored and will not print.

Those cover measurements also apply to an ImageWrap, but you need to be aware that the cover images will be "stretched" slightly to achieve the wrap so you need to be extra careful not to place key parts of your image near the edges.

By default, if you use the BookSmart layouts, the text on the spine will be the same as that chosen for the cover. You can, however, edit the text on the spine, just click on the spine, accept the warning that if you change it it will not continue t reflect your book title and author.

w.r.t. the font you use for the cover, any (truetype) font on your PC is available for you to use in BookSmart, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to match the fonts on your imported cover image and the text on the spine. Not so true if you use OpenType or Postscript fonts, they are not suported.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 27, 2008 2:11pm PDT
tfrankland

I had a softback and hardback printed at the same time, the stuff on the hardback was stretched for the dust jacket making it look soft compared to the softback. I did create it at the specified container size too.

Posted by
dasantillo
Aug 27, 2008 11:30pm PDT
dasantillo

Y’all are awesome. Thanks so much for the help. I wonder… if I were to submit the font to Blurb, if they could make it available? Fonts are tricky, though, permissions and all. That’s why I rasterize. :)

Thank you!

LU

Posted by
libbyann721
Aug 29, 2008 10:10pm PDT
libbyann721

LU,

Blurb do not have a set collection of fonts. When you open BookSmart it allows you to use any TrueType fonts you have on your PC/Mac. I suspect the reason that you are not seeing the font in BookSmart that you are using in InDesign is that it is not TrueType.  Adobe supply a collection of OpenType fonts with it’s Creative Suite of which InDesign is part.

So you have just three options, none that satisfactory.

1. Carry on doing the design in InDesign,

2. Choose a different font (making sure it is one of the TrueType ones that BookSmart supports)

3. Track down a lookalike TrueType font that mimics the one you are using. That could take a while and no guarantee of success. An internate search of "fontname FONT TRUETYPE"  might get you a hit, or search one of the following sites…...

http://www.free-fonts.com/

http://www.1001freefonts.com/

http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts.html#Free

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 29, 2008 11:06pm PDT
tfrankland

Thanks, Tony. All good thoughts. No, it’s not TrueType, but it’s the font we used on our wedding invitations, programs, place cards – everywhere. So I wanted to use it in the book. My plan is to just create an image with that font and rasterize it. Then I’ll just fit it into the spine slot in Booksmart. Hopefully it’ll look somewhat ok. If not, I’ll probably just choose something serif-y and go with the "I meant for it to look like that" line. :)

Thanks for your and d’s thoughts. I appreciate it.

Posted by
libbyann721
Aug 31, 2008 3:45pm PDT
libbyann721

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news LU, but you can’t put an image onto the spine.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 31, 2008 11:36pm PDT
tfrankland

Stink!

Hmph.

Posted by
libbyann721
Sep 5, 2008 5:25pm PDT
libbyann721

I want to put the name, author, date of my book on the spine but the type did not come up automatically. What should I do?

Paula

Posted by
epjjham
Oct 24, 2009 6:35am PDT
epjjham

how do you calculate the width of your spine? thank you. sdp

Posted by
sandradi
Feb 17, 2011 9:37am PDT
sandradi

I set the spine text as guided in the cover design process. When I received the printed copy, the type was tiny. I re-designed the cover with a slightly larger font that should have fitted well within the spine. When I ordered these copies, the spine was blank.

This seems an area where there could be some improvements.

Posted by
mzantsi
Mar 17, 2013 4:17am PDT
mzantsi