Book Design and Imaging

Adobe CS3 InDesign Page Size

I followed the tips and tricks for creating my own pages using InDesign and the recommended Full-bleed page measurements then exporting as a high res PDF (pdf/x-1a2001) then dragging the PDF into Photoshop and exporting as a .png. I’m missing something, because the .png image size is no longer the recommended page dimensions. It is only the size of the image area (photo and text), example: recommended dimensions: 9.627×8.25 inches, the .png winds up being 8.693×6.987 inches, which is the perimeter of the text and photo that were on the page layout.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
lakewalker
Sep 5, 2008 5:15pm PDT
lakewalker

Make sure the dpi is set at 300 all the way through. If your PDF or PNG is a different dpi, that will affect the size upon import into BookSmart.

Posted by
walterrowe
Oct 13, 2008 9:42am PDT
walterrowe

Hi Lakewalker,

Just my problem…, and yes, Walterrowe, I have set the dpi to 300. 

My problem is that  the pdf confines the page to the ‘written’ space. On some pages, though, I try to keep an empty margin. This margin has been deleted by the pdf-export command. In InDesign, I work with a 3788/3262 pixels (909/783 pts) document. In PDF it comes out as 3058/3342 pixels.

Hope anyone can help.

Thanks,

CArlo

PS: great coincedence that "my" question has been posed today or is this a question that pops up every other week?

Posted by
Quintsys
Oct 13, 2008 11:42am PDT
Quintsys

Hi Lakewalker,

Me again, and now with an answer. The trick is to be done when opening pdf in Photoshop. One of the options in the screen is entitled ‘crop to’, and there you should choose ‘bleed box’, instead of ‘text box’. 

Hope this helps you. Actually, I think I helped you

Happy publishing,

Carlo 

Posted by
Quintsys
Oct 14, 2008 1:57pm PDT
Quintsys

Given that this technique involves eventually creating an RGB image, why do you suggest exporting as PDF/X-1a which is, by definition, CMYK?

I would think that exporting to an RGB PDF/X-3 would allow you to avoid a needless RGB-CMYK-RGB conversion with the unavoidable loss in quality that will cause.

Posted by
ptruskier
Nov 19, 2008 9:40pm PDT
ptruskier