Book Design and Imaging

Printing Books using an Uncalibrated Laptop LCD

Hello,

thank you in advance for your help.

Any of you have experienced printing books from an uncalibrated laptop LCD?

Should I give it a try and check how the first book comes out? I don’t get anybody complaining about the look of the images I send to my agencies and clients from the very same LCD so I was wondering if sending as it is and check the book before correcting back all my work might be a fair chance or should I calibrate, correct my whole work and give it a try then?

Any advice welcome.

Thank you,

Alex

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
alexmasi
Oct 14, 2008 11:00am PDT
alexmasi

I suppose "upload at your own risk" would apply here.  Depending on how particular you are, you may be fine.  The thing you need to keep in mind, is that – in general – printed media will always be a bit darker than what you see on screen.  Since you have an uncalibrated monitor, there may also be some variations in the colors, contrast, etc.  I printed my first book with an uncalibrated monitor, and I was fine with the results (they were vacation pictures, for personal use only, and I wasn’t very picky).  As you’ve probably seen, there have been many discussions surrounding picture quality.  I believe it boils down to personal preference.  The more particular you are, the more calibration, adjusting, softproofing you will want to do.  You may want to print a proof book – 20 pages of your most worrisome pictures – to see how things turn out – and go from there.

Hope that helps!

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Oct 14, 2008 5:37pm PDT
rbgool

I know people do, but personally I would not do any photo post processing on a laptop, much less an uncalibrated one! ;-(  You might well get away with it, but chances are, you end up with something slightly different to what you see on screen.

Posted by
omeyas
Oct 16, 2008 4:13am PDT
omeyas

Because I travel, I’ve worked on a laptop since they first came out. Alex, make the cheapest available Blurb book and compare the results in it to what you see on your screen. Tweak from there…

Posted by
Michal
Oct 16, 2008 6:00am PDT
Michal

-"make the cheapest available Blurb book and compare the results in it to what you see on your screen. Tweak from there…"

Then try printing another book to see whether you have gone far enough, or gone too far. Then tweek again., have another cheap book printed, then….........

Posted by
omeyas
Oct 16, 2008 10:12am PDT
omeyas