Book Design and Imaging

Formatting text

I am on my 4th Blurb book – the previous three were photo-intensive with litle text amd they came out fine.. But this one is text-intensive with photos and I am finding Booksmart to have several irritating habits when working with blocks of text, each around 500 words.

In edit mode:

1. Selecting text is a hit or miss affair, sometimes it takes three or four tries to select portions.

2. Every time I select some text, Booksmart jumps up in size, meaning I have to reduce it down again…very irritating.

3. Cursor placement is also arbitary, it seems to have a will of its own.

4. Sometimes I get the warning yellow gizmo ( text exceeds size…) sometimes I don’t on the same block of text. I am assuming if it proofs out Ok my text won’t get clipped so I’m ignoring those warnings.

5. On an unrelated matter, I rename my books but when I go back into Booksmart, the rnames have disappeared and I have to do it all over again. Maybe I’ll try a manual save and see if that works

Please improve text formatting in the next version!

Mark 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mpower
Oct 15, 2008 8:30am PDT
mpower

I too find type to be very spotty with Blurb. I am an editorial designer and find that typography is the one huge area where Blurb falls apart. I am working on a book that will require very precise type handling, and I am very nervous about how Blurb will handle it.

For me, it is not worth the risk, so I shall have to create the type in another programme and then upload the type pages. This is not the way to work, but there is no other choice until BookSmart gets better.

Posted by
Spencer
Nov 10, 2008 2:10pm PDT
Spencer

Mark, I can help with No.2 and sympathise with the others.

If you go to the View menu, you will see as the last item Auto-Zoom For Text Input, just uncheck that.

I do find that I have to click anywhere in a text box to activate it, then click in the position I want the cursor to sit or the words to be highlighted. The first click in the position you’d like the cursor certainly doesn’t work.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 10, 2008 2:43pm PDT
tfrankland

Mark,

Welcome to text in Blurb. I’m spending this weekend fixing dozens of text overflows that popped up after I  installed rev 1.9.9. I didn’t think it could be any worse than what I had experienced with previous releases, but I was wrong. The problems you mentioned are so persistent and common that most folks have learned to work around them. Thanks for reminding us what we’ve gotten used to, but I’m afraid you’ll have much worse to complain about soon.

Mike Reitsma, Burlingame, CA

Posted by
argusmike
Nov 15, 2008 10:09pm PDT
argusmike

Mark:I copy all the text I put in Blurb books in MS Word. That way, should I “lose” the text in Blurb I still have a copy. Rich

Posted by
RichCapeCod
Nov 16, 2008 8:35am PDT
RichCapeCod

Tony,

thank you so much for that fix! I had no idea there was a way round it and had just got used to it as one of the many foibles of Booksmart. How fantastic to have one less thing to frustrate me!

Annette.

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 18, 2008 8:30am PDT
AnnetteJones