Book Design and Imaging

Print results from 2 page-spreads: pllease give your feedback !

hello everyone,

There are many different topics on the 2 page spreads and how to make them as good as possible, while desperatly waiting for a template from blurb….

One thing that we haven’t been able to answer is what size of gutter needs to be taken into account, depending on the size, type and number of pages of your book.

Lee started a poll there: http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/3662; but never got many answers. 

So could everyone who already printed 2-pages spreads and received their book give us their feed back, so that we can try to see the trend and how much overlap to take into account?

That would be awsome. 

Thanks,

Ingrid.

PS: an other easier solution would be for blurb to give us a table with this kind of information…......

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
CouCou33
Nov 5, 2008 10:47am PDT
CouCou33

Hi Ingrid;

A timely reminder… I’ve added my latest findings to the POLL

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 6, 2008 3:32am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks a lot Lee for this update.

I’m hoping that many other blurbarian will post their results, cause it’s really helpful.

I’m puting together a new book with all my favorits shots from Japan. it’s a big project with around 200 pages of high qulity pictures, and many pages involve some spread of some sort… after reading all the different post, I’m a little doubtful on the result I will get…... 

I whish blurb could update us on when they are planing to release a spread template for BookSmart… that would be SO much easier….

Posted by
CouCou33
Nov 6, 2008 12:45pm PDT
CouCou33

Hi Ingrid;

You’re welcome…

I wouldn’t hold your breath for anything from Blurb along the lines of spread-page templates… I may be wrong, but from my understanding of the software, it’s simply not built to support anything other than one-page at a time. At this point we don’t even get rulers or guide lines to help us!!!

Anyhow, for a 200+ page book, I would certainly work on an overlap of at least 3/8" and quite probably 1/2". I have already decided that I am going to adopt 1/2" from now on, on the assumption that 1/4" is no longer is deep enough with the "improved" binding…

Good luck with your project… Japan is yet another country high on our list of places to visit… So much to see; so little time… I need to win the lottery !

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 6, 2008 3:13pm PDT
lkb-28

I often use two page spreads in my blurb books, I guestimate the centre join gutter depending on where and how many pages are in the book. I have no problems joining the two pages together.

200 pages in one book is a bit heavy, how about splitting it up into a couple volumes.

Posted by
petwise
Jun 26, 2010 3:28pm PDT
petwise

Hi everyone..newbie here…I’m working in InDesign and have a couple of 2 pg spreads and was just going to use one photo enlarged across the spread, as the image I’m using isn’t critical….and shouldn’t suffer too much. The text I have on top of it is another story and I’m giving it planty of gutter space.

That being said, am I supposed to use 2 images, the right 1/2 of the photo for the right page and the left 1/2 of the photo for the left page, for the printing aspect of InDesign, even if I’m not worried about overlap, or is the one photo ok?

(So if I’m understanding how it prints, both left and right pages are printed on one piece of paper, right?)

Thanks for any help.

mz

Posted by
mickiz
Jul 3, 2010 12:48pm PDT
mickiz

I recently ran a softcover, 20 page test print book to see the quality of blurb as a test before going and doing a full book.  I followed the guides, left an appropriate gutter area free of my image, and adjusted the image on both pages so that when printed, SHOULD merge correctly acorss the pages.   when I got the final print, they DID NOT.  fortunately i was only out around 20 something dollars, but having to spent 20-30$ each time to run tests to get a spread correct is not acceptable.   There really needs to be a 2 page spread layout that takes your image and adjusts it correctly, as it could be 2-3 tests before i get the spacing correct.

Posted by
evanrich
Jul 23, 2010 10:16am PDT
evanrich

ok and don’t forget, that’s trial and error with one printer, but Blurb can send your work to various vendors and it might not be the same printer each time. The tighter your specs I’m thinking the harder it is to get what you want.

Posted by
mickiz
Aug 13, 2010 10:26am PDT
mickiz

Though I havent tried them, I understand BookSmart and the other template driven software (i forget the name) have a few procedures to create spreads, maybe they could be somehow incorporated into the Book to PDF software to at least ballpark the specs a little closer. I’ll report back on my efforts hopefully soon.

Mz

Posted by
mickiz
Jan 20, 2011 12:32am PDT
mickiz