Book Design and Imaging

Locked Please help a newbie >>> two page photo spread?

Hello everyone,

I would like to create a two page photo spread on a standard landscape book format

(10 X 8 inches).

I don’t know why blurb makes it so difficult for users and doesn’t offer  such a feature in their

software. Anyway….I found a tutorial but I find it difficult to understand. His results are 

outstanding though  >>>  (http://theartofengineering.wordpress.com/2008/01/12/putting-a-photo-across-the-gutter-of-a-spread/)

I have Photoshop CS3. Could anyone explain to me how it’s done? I would appreciate

it so much.

best,

Ben

Posted by
amoergosum
Nov 9, 2008 12:17pm PDT
amoergosum

Ben, this is not a technically precise method, but it’s very easy, simply using the zoom tool. Suits if your image is not difficult right at the gutter.

http://blog.blurb.com/index.php/2006/11/15/create-a-full-bleed-spread-across-2-pages/

P

Posted by
peteshep
Nov 9, 2008 12:32pm PDT
peteshep

Thanks for your reply, Pete.

I’d need a method which is precise though.

Posted by
amoergosum
Nov 9, 2008 12:42pm PDT
amoergosum

Hello Ben;

You might want to check-out this post dealing with 2-page spreads…

Lots of discussion about the issue, but, importantly both methods discussed work flawlessly and easily…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 10, 2008 6:03am PDT
lkb-28

Ben;

You might also want to check-out this post which provides some input about the results of overlapping for 2-page spreads…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 10, 2008 6:13am PDT
lkb-28

Could anyone explain to me how it’s done? I would appreciate it so much.

I honestly don’t think I can explain it better than the guy has done in your original link, I thought it was very straight forward.  What are you having problems with?  Download his template, and it’s a simple matter of just lining the photos up with the lines on his template.

Posted by
omeyas
Nov 10, 2008 8:10am PDT
omeyas

I have done many travel books using spreads to show large panoramas in the arctic and the Great Wall.

Its easy! Albeit not technically precise, but then again, you are also dealing with the inaccuracies of gutters and various trim sizes.

Here’s what I do…

I load the photo (it has to be large enough to span the distance of the spread to begin with) twice! Import the left side, then import the one on the right side. Enlarge them both alternatively and position them so that the optically line up the way the photo should look.

Keep in mind there will be some image loss in the gutter (the greater number of pages, the more loss). To compensate for the gutter, I actually back off the image a bit in the gutter so that I am assured not to loose anything.

Of course, design rules apply – don’t shoot a photo where the subject is dead-centre, as this is where the gutter will sit – assuming you want a full bleed, 2-page spread and not one of the 3/4-type spreads.

Posted by
Spencer
Nov 10, 2008 2:04pm PDT
Spencer

In those linked posts, when people refer to "overlap" are they talking about having, say 1/4", of the image on the inner sides be the same?

[       x]|[x       ]
[       x]|[x       ]
[       x]|[x       ]

ie, having the ‘x’ part being identical instead of

[        ]|[        ]
[        ]|[        ]
[        ]|[        ]

Posted by
jcastle
Nov 12, 2008 1:16pm PDT
jcastle

Hello jcastle;

YEP – you got it in one! That’s exactly what we mean by "overlap"...

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 13, 2008 1:38am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks!

I’m stuck at this gutter stuff and the blurb site seems rather evasive, with no ‘official’ words on it – at least I couldn’t find easily.

I’ll take a look on the links posted.

Thanks,

Posted by
RAF2
Nov 10, 2010 5:50am PDT
RAF2