Book Design and Imaging

FONT ISSUES for MAC users

I have done many books using Blurb and while quite pleased overall, I have ALWAYS had issues with typography. I experience issues where kerning is so bad, letters overlap, line spacing has a mind of its own, and fonts do not image properly.

Recently, I have had to eat over $1,000 because of bad font rendering.

I’d love to know what other Mac users are doing with type and if you have resolved any font issues. If this continues, I may have to try to find another book company – I cannot afford to have things go so wrong and out of control!

Thanks in advance!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Spencer
Nov 11, 2008 7:29am PDT
Spencer

Spencer,

Please clarify about what exactly did you do with fonts. Because you had not say much in precise details as to font? What font did you use? What size of font did you selected to use?

Did you work with creative design applications such as Adobe Photoshop, or InDesign or other application? Or did you use Booksmart in its entirety.

If you think you need to contact Blurb, you are encouraged to contact Blurb customer service (order department and technical support). I trust and believe that Blurb Staff would be very happy to assist you.

Also, did you run a 20-pages of test book to determine whatever fonts or anything on your test book look alright or not. It is a good way to find out with test book before “invest” or order large quantity of book order at once.

Hope that helps.
Brian
{a passionate Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Nov 11, 2008 12:12pm PDT
brianbonitz