Book Design and Imaging

Inside Margins

I am creating a 7”x7” book in InDesign which I will convert to a jpg and import into book smart. In the past I have created photo intensive books and they turned out great. This time I have a few pages that are text heavy. I have set my margins in InDesign to .5” but am concerned that once bound (hard bound) the spine will swallow the text.

When binding, does Blurb allow extra room on the inside (spine side) of the pages to allow for binding or does the edge of the page as seen in preview but right up against the spine? If “what I set is what I get” (in otherwords it’s 5” from back of spine to edge of margin) does anyone have experience with this and have recommendations as to what size margin is appropriate?

Thank you.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
efdavis
Nov 14, 2008 1:12pm PDT
efdavis

There has been a lot of discussion around the loss of information in the gutter, but mainly related to two-page spreads where people are worried about the loss of part of their photo in the gutter, but the issues are the same with respect to your question.

The latest information from users can be found below, but there is not, as far as I know, any input from Burb on this topic.

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/3662

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 14, 2008 1:26pm PDT
tfrankland