Book Design and Imaging

Resize photo in Photoshop for Panorama

How do I resize/enlarge a photo in PSE7 for a 2 page panorama in a book that is 26×11?

My original photo is 3504×2336 taken with a 8.2m camera.  I have selected      Image>Resize>Image size

When I leave the resample box unchecked and change the width to 26" the resolution drops to 134.7 ppi.  I assume this means that left like this the resolution is too low to print in booksmart.

Do I now need to enlarge the photo by checking the "resample" box and select Bicubic smoother?  What do I do with the dimensions?  Do I select 26" for width and let the height be to scale and set the resolution to 300?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bama1017
Nov 17, 2008 12:36pm PDT
bama1017

Yes, you need to resample your image.  In this case, upsample it.  The best way to do this in PS is to do it in smaller increments, i.e. 10% at a time, rather than going from 134ppi directly to 300.

As for the dimensions, you will likley need to crop your image in order to get the corret aspect ratio.  Your defayult image is in a 3:2 ratio.  If you increase the width to 26" without cropping, the resulting image will be over 17" tall.  This is clearly too tall for the pages of a 13×11 book, so you need to crop your image so that you get the correct aspect ratio for the desired output. 

What I would suggest is that you take your image and first, crop it to the correct ratio.  To do this in PS, use the cropping tool ans set it to the correct dimensions.  For your book this would be 25.254×10.877.  Once you have it cropped correctly, use the image resize to upsample it to whatever dimensions you need in order to equal 300 ppi.  With the previous crop, the image size tool should show those dimensions as the size and show the calculated PPI that results from the existing pixel dimensions.  Leaving the resample box checked, increase the PPI resolution amount in 10% increments up to 300.  Once you get there, you are done.

As for how to actually create a two page layout, that is another discussion.  See http://theartofengineering.wordpress.com/2008/01/12/putting-a-photo-across-the-gutter-of-a-spread/ for specific instructions on how to do this.  Plus, you can download templates to use in Photoshop for your own custome page design if you like.

Posted by
lctalbot
Nov 17, 2008 4:59pm PDT
lctalbot

Thank you!  That is very helpful.

Posted by
bama1017
Nov 18, 2008 9:59am PDT
bama1017