Book Design and Imaging

images darker in booksmart display than in photo shop display.

I am working on my first book and am a professional photographer with considerable digital experience.  I am correcting my images in cs3 to look OK on my calibrated monitor but when I drag them into book smart they are considerably darker.  I can set up my screen to see them side by side and there is a big difference.  I assume the picture will print darker like they show up in the book smart software.  but I am heistant to just make my imagery arbitrarily lighter in the hope they will look good in the end.  Anyone have this experience?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bluebirdfd
Nov 25, 2008 7:42am PDT
bluebirdfd

Bluebirdfd,

Nobody has replied to this topic (which suprises me) so I’ll put in my 2 cents. I don’t have a calibrated monitor, just the flat screen I got from Dell 3-4 years ago. I just finished editing a jpg in Photoshop and importing it to BookSmart. When I fit both Photoshop and BookSmart onto the same screen (as you did) and look at it carefully I cannot see any difference. In response to the general question of monitor vs. book paper image, my one and only experience so far was that the book did in fact come out darker (and a bit more saturated) than what I assumed from the screen. I did a 2nd iteration after globally brightening and de-saturating my jpgs a bit (not enough so that they looked bad on the screen, but a bit less saturated and a bit lighter than what I would have judged right from 30 years of black and white darkroom experience). 2nd iteration came out OK on the paper.

Mike Reitsma

Posted by
argusmike
Nov 25, 2008 4:43pm PDT
argusmike

<!—[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:worddocument> <w:view>Normal</w:view> <w:zoom>0</w:zoom> <w:punctuationkerning /> <w:validateagainstschemas /> <w:saveifxmlinvalid>false</w:saveifxmlinvalid> <w:ignoremixedcontent>false</w:ignoremixedcontent> <w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext>false</w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext> <w:compatibility> <w:breakwrappedtables /> <w:snaptogridincell /> <w:wraptextwithpunct /> <w:useasianbreakrules /> <w:dontgrowautofit /> </w:compatibility> <w:browserlevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:browserlevel> </w:worddocument> </xml><—[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" latentstylecount="156"> </w:latentstyles> </xml><![endif]—> <!— /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:””; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;}—> <!—[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:””; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]—>

Thanks for the reply Mike.  what operating system are you using? I’m beginning to think this might be a vista issue.  I have an older laptop with xp and cs3 installed.  I downloaded booksmart to it and went through the same process using some of the same images a before.  And they look the same in cs3 as in booksmart.  The difference on my vista machine is huge.  In fact the only way to get them look reasonable in book smart is to come close to blowing them out in cs3.   If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I don’t really want to do this book on my old laptop but it might be better in the long run. 

Frank

Posted by
bluebirdfd
Nov 26, 2008 12:02pm PDT
bluebirdfd

<!—[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:worddocument> <w:view>Normal</w:view> <w:zoom>0</w:zoom> <w:punctuationkerning /> <w:validateagainstschemas /> <w:saveifxmlinvalid>false</w:saveifxmlinvalid> <w:ignoremixedcontent>false</w:ignoremixedcontent> <w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext>false</w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext> <w:compatibility> <w:breakwrappedtables /> <w:snaptogridincell /> <w:wraptextwithpunct /> <w:useasianbreakrules /> <w:dontgrowautofit /> </w:compatibility> <w:browserlevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:browserlevel> </w:worddocument> </xml><—[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" latentstylecount="156"> </w:latentstyles> </xml><![endif]—> <!— /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:””; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;}—> <!—[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:””; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <—[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults spidmax="1026" v:ext="edit" /> </xml><—[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" /> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]—>

Thanks for the reply Mike.  what operating system are you using? I’m beginning to think this might be a vista issue.  I have an older laptop with xp and cs3 installed.  I downloaded booksmart to it and went through the same process using some of the same images a before.  And they look the same in cs3 as in booksmart.  The difference on my vista machine is huge.  In fact the only way to get them look reasonable in book smart is to come close to blowing them out in cs3.   If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I don’t really want to do this book on my old laptop but it might be better in the long run. 

Posted by
bluebirdfd
Nov 26, 2008 4:36pm PDT
bluebirdfd

Frank,

Sounds like you are on to something (maybe the subject of another one of those Apple vs. Windows commercials). I am using XP.

Mike

Posted by
argusmike
Dec 3, 2008 11:37am PDT
argusmike

I’ve put out three photo books so far and I’ve found that, as a rule, my images come out darker in print then on my computer screen. I’m going to try and lighten photos a bit in the future when making a photo book. I shoot RAW (PP using Canon’s DPP software), so it won’t be a major problem. For the record, I’m using Windows XP on a Samsung 204B (uncalibrated) monitor.

Rich

Posted by
RichCapeCod
Dec 3, 2008 9:34pm PDT
RichCapeCod

Hi Rich;

I STRONGLY suggest that you calibrate your monitor rather than try & play with image brightness as a stand-alone…

Colour rendition on monitors changes all the time, depending on how warm or cold they are, how warm or cold the atmosphere is, how old the monitor is, how you have played with the factory settings etc. etc. etc.

Without the fundamental of a calibrated monitor, you’ll be chasing an unknown quantity with no g’tee of a decent result.

Apart from that, I’m glad to see another Canon RAW / DPP user !

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Dec 4, 2008 5:51am PDT
lkb-28