Book Design and Imaging

Re size my book

hi, I want to make a smaller version of my book. my book is 11×13 but i want to make a 8.5×11 version of the same book without any content change. Is there a way to convert my book without do all the work again? please some help me.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
juanosantos
Nov 30, 2008 9:54pm PDT
juanosantos

I don’t think you’ll find a 8.5" x 11" book option, the nearest smaller one would be the 10" x 8".

Then on top of that problem I’m afraid there is no way to automatically make the change, it is a matter of starting again.

If the book is photo heavy you can save a small amount of time by choosing, from the File menu, the option New Book with this Photo Library.

Then do a search of the FAQs for Autoflow, you’ll see that button just under the My Imported Photos heading on the left of the BookSmart window, that might help get the photos into the pages quickly, but it all depends on whether you can find find page templates in the 10" x 8" that match those used in your 13" x 11". The templates are not the same in each book size.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 1, 2008 2:29am PDT
tfrankland

Thanks so much Tony for your help! : )

Posted by
juanosantos
Dec 1, 2008 4:41am PDT
juanosantos

This is such a disappointing thing.  It would be great if there was a conversion tool. A mapping between page layouts across different formats and bringing text with text settings would save so much time.  An export text feature into a RTF format with a simple page number before each text would be helpful. It’s not like I can have two Booksmart docs open at the same time to facilitate cut&paste.  And the PDF export is all photos, so you can’t yank the text from there either.

I was looking at doing this for a 13×11 book I just finished. It would make the book more accessible if others wanted to get a copy. However, I can’t see spending more hours rebuilding all the pages.  A shame Blurb didn’t choose proportional format offerings (8×10, 10×12.5, 11×13.75;  7×7, 10×10, 12×12).  Shutterfly did this so you could easily upgrade or downgrade without losing you work, and they retain or grow the sale.

I’m doing a trip book that will be three gifts and I’m doing the book twice. 10×8 for three gifts, and a 13×11 that is consistent with my other personal trip books for myself.  A shame I have to do double work, but 10×8 vs 13×11 lowers the cost of the gift books by 45% ($30-$35) for each 70-100 page book.  That’s a $100 for just those three books.

Posted by
royalef
Dec 1, 2008 2:25pm PDT
royalef

I converted a 13×11 to 10×8manuualy.  It took about 15 hours to rebuild the 188 pages. Some I had to switch to photoshop since 10×8 had formats that couldn’t accomodate what I had done in the 13×11 book.   Of course there was a five hour proofing and fixing session after the rebuild, so the whole thing probably took over 20 hours to rebuild into a different size.

Posted by
royalef
Dec 29, 2008 2:30pm PDT
royalef

My input for Blurb—Offer square books. The templates would allow use of multiple photos per page, plus full bleed. Then we could create 300 dpi files for the largest book, and easily automate the the resizing of files for the smaller ones. How about 12×12, 10×10, 8×8? Square is a very popular option with the expensive album providers for wedding photogs…....

Ed

Posted by
edt
Jan 1, 2009 5:52pm PDT
edt