Book Design and Imaging

I would like to make a request for more "photos only" layouts...

Hi, I am looking into switching from my publisher to blurb for my wedding coffee table albums. However, one thing I like about m.p. is that they have a lot of templates for photos only. And since I have just started exploring the blurb software, it seems that most of the layout templates are for photos and text together. There is really not that many photo only layouts.
So, who can I talk with to request more of photo-only type layouts be available in the blurb software? Is anyone else with me on this?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
rhirschberg
Dec 12, 2008 1:35am PDT
rhirschberg

Go to Search FAQs and you will see a heading of EMAIL SUPPORT on the RHS, under that you will see Suggestions and Feedback.

Personally I would like to see more templates both photo and photo+text. At the moment where I don’t want text with any of the current layouts (e.g. I don’t want a caption) I just don’t add text. If the text field is blank the text box will not print and the background will show. I’d just like more variety.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 12, 2008 1:51am PDT
tfrankland

Any of the layouts can be photo-only if you omit the text or captions.  Text boxes don’t rint out if left empty.

Posted by
jmaudlin
Dec 13, 2008 4:31pm PDT
jmaudlin

Also, it took me awhile to figure out that you can position the photo anywhere in the box and leave grey around the edges and it prints black (or whatever background color you’re using).  Blurb suddenly seemed much more versatile once I could do a full page vertical picture bleeding off the top and bottom with black on the sides.

Posted by
whitneyolson
Dec 19, 2008 1:58pm PDT
whitneyolson

Hi folks,

I am just starting with Blurb for wedding albums.  Could someone please give me suggestions on what software choice might be best?

Thank you,

Phil

Posted by
malephil
Jul 13, 2012 8:59am PDT
malephil

Hi Phil.

Bookify gives you no real control over layout but for a photo book it is quick to learn and easy to use.

BookSmart has a hundred or so photo  page layouts available to choose from and you can also modify pages using these or create your own layouts. I find it great for photo books but the text handling can be a bit clunky at times. Be sure to look at the Tips & Tutorials (under the Help menu above) there’s a good video on getting started with BookSmart and other helpful videos and tutorials.

Adobe’s InDesign gives you full creative control and is great at handling text but boy does it cost.

I’d suggest you download BookSmart and create a test book of a dozen or so pages to see if it meets your needs. If you feel you need more options you can download a trial version of InDesign for a month or buy it for around $600 or £500.

There are quite a few wedding photographers who chip in to the forums, maybe one of those will give you more targetted advice.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 14, 2012 4:25am PDT
tfrankland

I have been experimenting with blank pages then designing my own layouts that seems to give the opportunity to be artistic and creative, you can then save the layout for future use

Posted by
porpoise
Sep 25, 2012 8:08am PDT
porpoise