Book Design and Imaging

GREAT BOOK DESIGN! Our Life By pfrazier1 Would love to know more about it

I just previewed Our Life   Monica

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cdnfamily
Dec 14, 2008 4:00pm PDT
cdnfamily

You are are right Monica, it is a very impressive design. Well done Pandora Frazier!

Hopefully Pandora will come into the forums and answer your question. But I’m sure that they used something like Photoshop, Adobe InDesign or Quark to prepare the pages externally to BookSmart and then imported them into full-bleed pages via JPG or PNG.

.....Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 14, 2008 4:22pm PDT
tfrankland

Indeed the design and layout of the book are outstanding.  Very imaginative.

There is no doubt, it was done in a design program, then processed into full bleed pages in BookSmart.  That’s the only way I have done Blurb books, and it works very well.  Using this method, the page layout is limited only by your creativity.  I can assure you, however, that my creativity is far more limited than Pandora’s.

Posted by
deanej
Dec 14, 2008 6:26pm PDT
deanej

I just learned how to zoom in on the pages of a book preview.  Right click and choose zoom in.  I’m slow.

In doing so, it was possible to study the layout up close and it’s interesting.  It almost appears that the pages were physcially assembled from actual components, then the entire page digitized to ultimately end up as a bleed page.  Some parts of the page could actually be parts of ancient pages placed intact on the new page.

Posted by
deanej
Dec 14, 2008 6:39pm PDT
deanej

Thanks for all the great input.  I really enjoy looking at the different book designs.  I am hoping it will help me get creative.  The only publishing program I have right now is Printmaster, which is very limited.  However, my son showed me how I can turn a page into a picture format by grouping all the images, then copy it, paste the group into Irfanview (image viewing program) and then save it in the correct picture format.  I’m going to experiment with this and try it on the two books I am working on now. 

Thanks again for all the help.  Monica

Posted by
cdnfamily
Dec 21, 2008 12:25am PDT
cdnfamily

It looks like assembled scrapbooking and then scanned. Very nice. I would think this would be a great book for the library in that town or even the state geneological archives.

I created a similar effect in InDesign on the back of my book Forever Home: adopted dogs and the humans who love them.  As I went through the photos a saved out-takes of the photo shoots to show another side of the dogs’ personality.  If you’ve ever taken photos dogs you know you get a lot of blurry nose in the lens shots and dogs streaking out of the frame. I used those for the back cover, rotated them, gave them a photo like border and created a pawprint background. Like they were thrown on a table top. The dogs’ owners loved those the most .  I had to turn the PDF into a jpg and seemed to have lost some resolution but it’s been so long I’m sure I know how to do it better now.

www.imageworkspub.com

Posted by
LindaHenning
Dec 22, 2008 3:09pm PDT
LindaHenning

I found her and emailed her to take a look at the forum.

www.imageworkspub.com

Posted by
LindaHenning
Dec 22, 2008 3:22pm PDT
LindaHenning

I was informed through Linda Henning that there were questions in the forum regarding my book “Our Life”. Thanks for all the compliments. Each page was assembled in Adobe Photoshop and then dropped into Blurb as a full page bleed. I had a couple of photoshop templates set up and moved the art around to give the appearance of a different layout. I used several background stock images purchased from istockphoto.com. I also used Adobe InDesign to assemble the flow of the book and the copy but then transferred the type into photoshop. It ended up being a very tedious process especially as the book grew from my planned 30 pages to 68. If I had to do it all over again, which I probably will for my father’s family, I will streamline the process. I did it this way because I did want the book to look like a scrapbook and felt limited with Blurb’s templates. It took a lot of long nights to put it together since it was my christmas present to my family and I didn’t get my lazy butt in gear to start until the first of November. Again, I hope this answers some of the questions and again, thanks to all for the compliments.

Posted by
pfrazier1
Dec 23, 2008 12:24pm PDT
pfrazier1

I did a book similar to pfrazier1’s (albeit definitely not as good looking!) I created mine in CS3 but you can certainly use something like Photoshop Elements. I purchased some digital scrapbooking kits from Scrap Girls and created a full bleed page that I just dropped into the Blurb template.

If you’d like to try digital scrapbooking, but don’t want to purchase some products, there are lots of places that offer free kits. I’ve even created my own kit that you are welcome to download and see if digital scrapbooking is for you!

Posted by
ErinsWorld
Jan 4, 2009 6:11pm PDT
ErinsWorld

Lovely job you’ve done pfrazier1!  I love the beautiful rustic and vintage feel.

I’m doing a book at the moment like that – I think that’s the best way you can possibly do it and maintain a vast amount of control over the layout and artwork, because as pfrazier1 says, Blurbs templates are limited.  So, I too am doing the whole ‘design the entire thing in Photoshop’.

Basically, in case anyone’s wondering further specifics in general in case they want to try and do something like this as well – for example, I’m doing a standard landscape layout, so my document in Photoshop has to be the full bleed layout size, which is 9.2 inches x 8.6 inches.  You have to make sure that in order for it to print nicely without pixelating, that you set the DPI to 300.  Also ensure that you’re working in an RGB colourspace.  And then it’s just as easy as whacking all your artwork into the photoshop document you want on that specific page, and then I save as a high quality JPEG and then drop that right into a full bleed layout in BookSmart.  But I have seen a lot of people say they prefer saving it as PNG’s because of the whole compression factor – whatever your preference is I guess.

As pfrazier1 mentions, it is a rather tedious process, but it’s so worth it being able to have all that creative freedom, especially if it all pays off in the end.  Not that I’d know that feeling just yet … but hopefully soon.  Have to keep working on it. :) 

I’d upload a photo of a sample page I’ve done if anyone who was interested in the whole digital scrapbooking thing wanted to have a squiz …

Posted by
kristie87
Jan 5, 2009 5:52am PDT
kristie87