Book Design and Imaging

Adding borders to photos in my own Photoshop layouts - how thick?

Hi,

I’m creating a wedding album and I’m doing all the pages in Photoshop (well PSP7 actually!) so as to have more flexibility. I want to add a border to the photos and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to whether they will print OK with thin lines?

I don’t want a heavy border on the pics, just a thin black line round the image area, then a white gap then a slightly heavier black line, giving a double border. At the moment I am applying the following to my photos once I have resized them:

Black border 3 pixels

White border 20 pixels

Black border 5 pixels

Will such thin lines print OK in the finished book or should I beef them up a bit? Any ideas how thick (in pixels) the built-in Booksmart borders are, for comparison?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
robkingston
Jan 17, 2009 5:30am PDT
robkingston

Hi Rob;

In principle I see no reason why your thin borders won’t print OK… I have added similar borders (but not as thin) and have not encountered any problems… they are after all just another colour-pixel… but…

...as for dimensions – it will depend on your base image size! For example, I tested your outlines above on a 3888×2592px image and I found that the internal 3px black outline got "lost" when viewed at "print size", and, the finished item just looked "unbalanced" to me using the wider white and the narrower outside black border! The "normal" approach would be to have the wider border as the final external border – but it’s clearly your call on the design front…

BookSmart has a large number of borders so it’s not possible to comment really – but you can clearly get a good idea of width by adding one and viewing the result in "Preview" mode at c. 100%...

Good luck;

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jan 19, 2009 4:18am PDT
lkb-28

I "stroked" a fine border around pictures in my daughter’s book = http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/444364

I did not do the wide borders, however you can see in the pictures of the girls getting ready I put a 5pixel black border around the pics.On the dark pages  I used the same size white border, but it really should be a pixel or 2 wider, as when printed, it appeared thinner then the black and sometimes "disappeared."  I made all the pages in photoshop cs2.

Have fun!

suzi

Posted by
lazisusann
Jan 25, 2009 10:39pm PDT
lazisusann