Book Design and Imaging

What is wrong with BLURB, I mean honestly, this is the worst!

I am trying to load my book onto BookSmart and it simply will not work.  I don’t see how anyone could possible get this to work, because, IT DOESN’T.  I spend a few hours following the instructions and making each chapter a seperate .doc document with the margins recommended.  I loaded them into BookStupid and there were different spaces in between each line randomly inserted throughout the document.  If I tried to change anything, huge gaps would appear in the text that could not be taken out.  There is no way to justify the text, ie make it look like a real book, so basically trying to publish it is a waste of time and money.

I wrote to support and they said to try it with copy and paste on a new document without anything set on the page.  This almost worked, although there is still no way to justify the text.  When I try to select a whole page and make a change, it thien unselects and you can’t justify even when you select "justify", so what the hell is the point of that!?  

This is by far the worst program I have ever used, I honestly have never been so frustrated with a computer program in my whole life, and I don’t see how anyone could ever be happy when trying to prin a text only book.  Is there anyone who has actually had a decent result with this horrid program?  Is it possible to make a professional looking text?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jonathanu
Jan 19, 2009 12:02pm PDT
jonathanu

Yes, it is possible but it is a tedious task.

I just finished formatting a 360 page book and all the problems you’ve stated appeared. I had to correct the mistakes page by page.

If you are not on a shoe string budget, perhaps it is better to invest in a proper programme like Adobe Acrobat, Quark, InStyle etc.

Saves the headache, especially if you are going to be publishing a lot of books in the near future,

Posted by
hespiria
Jan 20, 2009 9:46am PDT
hespiria

You are using the wrong tool to do the job. Why would you use this kind of program to do a text only book? That just doesn’t make sense. The other answer suggested good solutions for doing more text type books. There are other online places too to do book publishing.

Posted by
needlepoint
Jan 23, 2009 7:37pm PDT
needlepoint

I just started on this thing, but i’ve been reading through and i was wondering what the other online places to do book publishing would be

Posted by
ViolaF8
Feb 1, 2009 2:29pm PDT
ViolaF8

What i have done and it has worked really well with BookSmart is don’t try to upload the chapters seperately into the document. Instead, just upload one chapter the whole time and then for the rest of the book, just copy it from your word document and then when you right click on booksmart, press paste in plain text or some junk like that. The only issue i have really come across is the lack of creativity in the whole thing and i don’t really like the amount of space the indent button puts in and so i have decided on a certain amount of space i want before each paragraph and i have copied and ‘pasted in plain text’ before every paragraph and that is very time comsuming. Other than that, i would say the program is okay, but i could definately be better 

Posted by
ViolaF8
Mar 19, 2009 8:59pm PDT
ViolaF8