Book Design and Imaging

Hi Res PNG imports look like hell in book Preview

Sorry if this has been dealt with earlier.

I did my layouts in IDCS3.
Saved out PDFs as PDFx1a 2001
Converted to 300dpi PNG
Booksmart says nothing about low-rez
Go
Upload
Order a book
Look at in Preview
Holy Sh*T! The type is chewy like I’d saved it as a crappy jpeg!

Can someone clue me as to what went wrong? This is not a good start.

I played by the rules, read the tech posts.

Now what?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
larrygassan
Jan 23, 2009 3:38pm PDT
larrygassan

Hi Larry –

The Book Preview online isn’t at all a representation of what your printed book will look like. 

The point of the Book Preview is to optimize your book content for online use, so other people can get an idea of what your book is about. The preview is comprised of a completely separate copy of your book, saved at screen resolution and compressed a bit in Flash to help ensure reasonable loading times. As you’ve noticed, sometimes that compression can effect text that was originally in bitmap form.

Your printed book, however, will use the full rez files that you originally uploaded—if you didn’t receive any low-rez warnings in BookSmart, all your text and images will come out looking good. Let us know what you think when you get your book!

Thanks,
Jack 

Posted by
JackLyon
Jan 23, 2009 5:08pm PDT
JackLyon

Hi Jack:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I sincerely hope that is correct. My anxieties stem from the perception that customers will log on, see chewy type and go….”sorry!”. I’ll wait and see what the proof-book brings.

thanks!
—Larry

Posted by
larrygassan
Jan 23, 2009 5:27pm PDT
larrygassan

I’m very relieved to announce the Newbie Obvious here—the PDFx1a—>HR PNG conversions worked very well. No chewy type.

I took advantage of the preliminary proof copy to move the outside margins to 1/2” on my IDCS layout. The previous 1/4” had been reduced to 1/16 in some instances.

thanks!

Posted by
larrygassan
Jan 29, 2009 3:47pm PDT
larrygassan

Great to hear your book turned out well. I just got a new Blurb book myself today. No matter how many times I make a new book, it’s still so exciting to get that first copy…

Posted by
JackLyon
Jan 29, 2009 6:17pm PDT
JackLyon