Book Design and Imaging

How do I amke my sketches look professional?

Hi,

I am writing a childrens book and want to take my hand drawn sketches and make them feel more polished and professional.

Does anyone know a web based application that will do this for me/an art package.

Any help much appreciated!!

Carl 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
CarlKnibbs
Feb 4, 2009 2:06am PDT
CarlKnibbs

Carl.

Simple answer: Practice.

Failing that, find an illustrator to collaborate with (this is how most childrens/illustrated books work.

Good luck!

Posted by
gooeman
Feb 10, 2009 7:00am PDT
gooeman

Hi

Thaks for the reply, I have opted for the practice route. (It’s not my day job so I have plenty of years to perfect/stay mediocre!)

Probably the best advice I could have gotten though, so thank you!!

(My current book I think is shaping up better than teh last. That’s progress, right?)

Carl

Posted by
CarlKnibbs
May 20, 2009 1:07am PDT
CarlKnibbs

Hi Carl,

once you’ve created your line work illustrations, you can (if you feel confident) take them into PShop and apply the colour there. Makes for interesting combinations / outcomes.

Maybe incorporating your illustrations into photography too. Very nice when done correctly.

This could be a new venture for you that you may not have explored.

Good luck,

Gaz

Posted by
JustaMacOp
May 20, 2009 4:53am PDT
JustaMacOp

If you are sketching on paper (i.e. not using a computer and tablet for drawing) then, when you scan them in, scan them at very large sizes (1200 DPI, etc). Once it is in your paint/photoediting software (Photoshop, etc) then you can reduce the size down. This does a couple of things: 1) it allows the scanner the time it needs to catch all the little nuances of sketch and 2) reducing its size after the scan gives the illusion of cleaner lines (less wobbly … if your hand is not so steady).

Also, when you scan, even if the image is pencil on paper, it is normally a good idea to scan it in full color. You can always reduce it to greyscale in your paint/photo app.

I hope this helps you.

Dan

Posted by
hypergraph
May 24, 2009 10:07am PDT
hypergraph

Hi Dan and Gaz,

Sorry for the late reply, I really appreciate the tips. I have opted to dump the sketches in to PS and colour them there. I am seeing some pleasing results and it does feel like I’ve developed a bit (which is really motivating, and keeping me interested.) I am a few weeks away from posting the results and publishing the latest effort. bWhich, as ever, is very exciting…

Many thanks for your advice, as I say, it is much appreciated.

Best,

Carl

Posted by
CarlKnibbs
Jul 20, 2009 8:02am PDT
CarlKnibbs