Book Design and Imaging

Examples of using background graphics and photos

I saw in the booksmart forum where somebody asked if they could use photos as backgrounds in their book and was told they could not, it was not possible in booksmart, well I have no trouble doing it.  All you have to do is use another program to make your page, save it as  ajpg and then import it into booksmart.  Hopefully the new version of booksmart is a lot better than the buggy old version, I have not had  achance to try it yet, but anyway here are a few examples from the book I’m working on, I pretty happy with my results.  I am using another program to make my pages, then import them into booksmart, photoshop and another plugin to make the page , then save the page as a jpg and then import it into booksmart.  I’m pretty happy with the results.

JD

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/wummis/1a-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/wummis/new12a.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/wummis/new15a.jpg Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bigboss1
Feb 5, 2009 8:53am PDT
bigboss1

Looks like an interesting book, JD. I read your introduction and I wanted to flip the page to see how you got on in Moscow!

Posted by
photonpics
Feb 5, 2009 9:45am PDT
photonpics

Thanks, I still have some typos to get out, but its coming along slowly.  When I get it finished and upload, you’ll be able to see an dread the intro completely (I hope it can be read in the preview)  I’m looking at around 240 pages when I’m finished with the book.

JD

Posted by
bigboss1
Feb 5, 2009 10:13am PDT
bigboss1

JD, I’ve also heard that making pages in another program (I use Indesign CS3 as well as Photoshop CS3) and then importing into BookSmart works—it certainly gives you more flexibility in layout design than using BookSmarts. I haven’t done this, because I’m concerned about print resolution (crisp type) at the end.

What DPI should I save my JPEGs as? I’m assuming at least 240 or 300 dpi?

When your books are printed using this technique (importing page layouts with type from other applications as jpegs into BookSmart) how does the type come out int the printing?

Thanks!

Posted by
naynaykins
Feb 8, 2009 7:33am PDT
naynaykins

Wow…these look fantastic.
kathy

Posted by
kathymn
Feb 16, 2009 2:45pm PDT
kathymn

You have made beautiful pages using photo backgrounds.

I am making my pages for the Blurb book in Mac’s ‘Pages’ application. I have perfect justification, indentation for new paragraphs, line spacing, etc.

I am putting photos in along with text for each page. All of the photos are 300 dpi and sometimes a bit more. I save the page to iPhoto and drag it from there to a Blurb book page. The text looks crisp and the photos look very good.

My question. Do you think the photos will be quality using this process or must they be inserted from iPhoto directly into the book for quality?

Thank you.

Posted by
Racer
Mar 23, 2011 8:40am PDT
Racer