Book Design and Imaging

Monitor & color management

Hi, am trying to set my workspace color to so I can edit my photos and place them in Booksmart without having all the problems everyone is having with dark or incorrect colored images due to their monitors.  I am working with the new Corel and I went under file to color management and there are two options…either basic color management (specify how colors will look on your monitor and computer) or Proofing (see colors on your monitor and/or printer as they would appear on another device).  When I select proofing, the first drop down  then asks if I want monitor profile to be sRGB or calibrated monitor.  The second drop down asks if I also want it in calibrated monitor, sRGB, Kodak and so on.

Should i be working in proofing the entire time while editing my photos?  I noticed that when I switched a photo I had been working on into Proofing they had a blue tint to them.  Also when I select proofing sRGB it wants to know if i want rendering intent to be pictures, proof, graphics, or match?

Sorry so long!

Thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cordan76
Feb 7, 2009 2:39am PDT
cordan76

There’s nothing much you can do, I think you have to get to grips with it; saying "...and place them in Booksmart without having all the problems…" is like saying "I just want to drive the car, I can’t be bothered with the learning bit." You’re going to crash. Well, you’re just not going to get a good book.

If you have not calibrated your monitor (risky) select sRGB as this is closest to what Blurb uses. You should also search the web for a B&W tone gradient image. Here’s one to try. This will tell you if your monitor brightness will reflect reality. Most people have them turned up way too bright, so an image that looks great on your monitor will end up all sludgy and milky and digusting in your book. A greyscale will show that you can identify every step in a contrast range. If the whites disappear into eachother the monitor is too bright, if the blacks merge it’s too dark. Adjust to see all the steps.

Your monitor is a beautiful illuminated bit of expensive kit. With a book you look at the pictures with reflected light. There’s a world of difference and a huge potential for disappointment. It’s a great thing to get to grips with colour management, for you will get the very best out of your books.

I’d also suggest doing a minimum page count soft back simple book as a test. This will help calibrate your mind to the process, see how the printed image compares with your monitor and help you adjust. It takes time and money, but this is the way with the pursuit of perfection. it’s agony. Suck it up!!!

Good luck, don’t be disheartened, and try not to crash!

John

Posted by
gooeman
Feb 10, 2009 6:58am PDT
gooeman