Book Design and Imaging

Why can Lulu, iuniverse sell books on Amazon, and Blurb cant?

You can get your booked on Amozon and many other online book stores all over the world on  Lulu, iuniverse, but here on Blurb you cant, why is this?

Ta

m

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
irishphoto
Feb 9, 2009 10:40am PDT
irishphoto

I suspect you could incorporate and ISBN # in your back cover design and then you can sell the books on Amazon. Blurb has told me it is a bit complicated for its process to offer this feature. An ISBN # is required in order to sell on Amazon.

http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/isbn-fees.asp

Posted by
timrock
Feb 9, 2009 4:15pm PDT
timrock

Oh yea, it is better to get your own ISBN as you then can distribute to whomever you want. When a creator buys a Lulu distribution service and their material is assigned a Lulu-owned ISBN, Lulu becomes the publisher of record and all earnings are regarded as royalties for that material, regardless of delivery format. The creator revenue generated by sales of material with a Lulu-owned ISBN meets the true and legal definition of a royalty. Royalties are reported to the IRS and are subject to withholding. Thus, you lose your privelege as a publisher with a Lulu book. This is why it is complicated for Blurb, as it would have to become a publisher or else try to figure out how to assign individual ISBNs. Just buy your own, set up the bar code in Photoshop with a back cover image and you can distribute to Amazon yourself via drop shipping through Blurb.

Posted by
timrock
Feb 9, 2009 5:10pm PDT
timrock

The creator revenue generated by sales of material with a Lulu-owned ISBN meets the true and legal definition of a royalty. An ISBN # is required in order to sell on Amazon. Some
book publishers told me it is a bit complicated for its process to offer this feature. Particularly for self publishing authors.

Posted by
selfpublish1
Jun 24, 2010 7:52am PDT
selfpublish1

All very true and it’s put me off trying with Lulu. I have published with Blurb and aim to sell on Blurb until I can afford to buy the ISBNs for selling on Amazon. In order to have the ISBN properly recognised in the UK you are required to send 5-6 copies to The British Library who then catalogue and distribute. So if I want to sell hardbacks in two formats and a softcover I have to send 6 of each as each type of binding requires a different ISBN. At over £400 it’s not an option right now.

Posted by
Woodlandia
Jul 17, 2011 5:18am PDT
Woodlandia